Steering gear ratio question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering gear ratio question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:21 am:

I'm putting together a speedster and am still getting it all together. I put an Overland front end on it because I like the spring set up and it lowered it 5 inches. I've got it where I can use the Overland gearbox, it works out good, I need to make some brackets for it now. It has 4 to 1 gears, same as a T with 21 inch wheels. I ran the Overland steering shaft up through the T steering bracket, it's the same size. I'm going to couple it to a 26-27 steering shaft I have that someone beat the end up too bad to put a nut on. I'll have to make a key way in it and use the coupler from the Overland, that's how it was put together. So then I have the T column so the rods and linkages will work for the throttle and timer, but up top I have another gear box. That would make the ratio 16 to 1 I think. Wondering if I should weld up the T one up top, or 16 to 1 I guess it would never jerk the steering out of your hands. Any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:22 am:

16 to one steering ratio will make you have to turn the wheel 360 degrees around in order to execute a slight turn. I think you need to use one or the other. Both together is not going to be any fun to drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

I believe modern steering boxes are 14 to 1 so you wouldn't be too far off but i'm not sure what the old style steering geometry would do with that ratio, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Check the number of turns from lock to lock on the steering - spindle range of movement rather than steering gear box. I used a newer steering box with the T steering reduction locked and get about 2 1/2 turns for a full range of motion L to R on the spindles. Works fine for me - easy steering, far less likely to have a rut jerk the wheel and amount of steering wheel movement for turns is excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Corey, I would take the planet gears out of the T gearbox. Weld the sun gear to the steering shaft. As Royce says. With both it would be like driving my former Case traction engine. You would have to start winding hell out of the wheel way before the turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Corey, I run a 18:1 Vega steering box on my speedster & with that ratio the steering is a little light. I made a new steering shaft and put a large plastic bushing in the upper steering column gear box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

I think I will weld up the top end. I don't think I have any sun gears for 26-27. I set some sheet metal I had on there but it doesn't look right. It's too tall. I'll find a used brass radiator sometime, this may be a long term project. I've got some brass head lights and a steering column with a repop brass quadrant. I'll put that Overland hood back on ebay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I meant planet gears. I'm all mixed up. I've been single a year and am about to go meet a girl for lunch and had to clean up quick. If that goes well I'll probably never get it finished :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Also, if it were me, I would grind off or remove altogether the long pinion pin that extends down into the slot that acts as a stop. Steering gears from about 21-up have this. Make sure you explain and show your hobby to any potential female friends that you bring to the place.Take them for run. If they bitch about the wind ruining there 'do' and insist on being taken to plumbing when they have to pee, run!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Long term project or not.
SWEET!! I like that Overland front end on there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration