Vaporizer splash pans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Vaporizer splash pans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:14 am:

I have a '26 Tudor "project" I'm currently working on. The engine dates the car to early December 1925. It has a Holley Vaporizer carb on it, yet the slash pans are clearly designed for a Holley NH carb by the location of the carb bowl access hole in the the pan. I am the third owner of the car, and it appears to be an original set up by the accumulation of dried oil and road grime on the components as the second owner did nothing on the care other than store it. What I am wondering is: 1) When Ford switched over to splash pans specifically designed for the vaporizer? 2) Was it likely that this car originally came with an NH and was converted to a vaporizer? 3) Did Ford dealers offer vaporizer conversations to help drivers deal with the lousy fuel sold in the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I bet you have a car that originally came with a Holley NH or Kingston L4.

The cars equipped with a Vaporizer style Kingston or Holley had the hole moved to near center of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:23 am:

For what it's worth, my reprint of the August 5, 1928 Model T Price List of Parts shows only one part number each for the RH and LH engine splash pans.

RH - 3084 - 1909-1927
LH - 3085 - 1909-1927

If Royce is correct, it's odd that the revised pan didn't get a "B" added to its part number.

Does anyone have a picture of a later pan and an earlier pan side-by-side so that we can see the difference(s)? :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on August 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Mark FYI - the 1928 list of parts has a R / L pan that will bolt to a 1909 - 1927 listed. The pans were revised many times over the years, I could not begin to list the variations.

The earliest versions have large oval depression with a hole in the middle about 3/8" to allow any leaking fluids to drain. The style with the fist sized diamond shaped hole below the carburetor appeared - I think - about 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Thanks, Royce. I did a quick Google search on "dust pans mtfca" and didn't immediately see an older thread that discussed or showed the variations. I'll keep trying. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

I have a 1919 engine with a vaporizer carb. Engine seems to be in good shape. Just starting the cleaning and analysis phase (winter project).
Now my question: Should I consider rebuilding the vaporizer?
Thank you-Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Paul, Is your 1919 engine with the vaporizer in a 1919 model year car, or is it a later model year car that the original engine was replaced with the 1919 power plant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

My car is a 1923 Touring without engine. Then I found a 1919 engine that had the vaporizer. I have the ability to rebuild the vaporizer, but if I change to a different carburetor, I suspect I will need a new manifold, at the least.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

A new 1923 Touring would not have come from Ford with a vaporizer. According to the MTFCA encyclopedia, it would have come with a Holley NH or a Kingston L4.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#Carb1

Can you post a picture of your 1923 touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Contact Dan Hatch. I think he has an engine pan for the Vaporizer setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

When Ford introduced the Vaporizer, they modified the 25-26 engine pan by putting two holes in it, so it could be used with both carburetors. The two hole ones are everywhere, and a lot of them are NOS too. I've been trying to find a perfect 25-6 for some time, and haven't gotten lucky yet, that's the one hole one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Kevin,

My '27 is from very late in production. So I have become fairly good at fixing up vaporizers to run on it's engine. The car really scoots with a vaporizer right now.

The fuel available today may be terrible, but is still better than what was featured in 1927 (so I am told) so the vaporizer is now mostly an interesting historical feature of the car, not a functional mandate.

I really enjoy running the vaporizer, but if my car was of earlier production there is no way I would mess with restoring and setting up a vaporizer. I would grab an NH. They are easier to set up and run so nicely. Add to that your splash pans will fit. To me doing up an NH is pretty much a no-brainer in this case!

IMHO,TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration