Another CRS attack: Out of gas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another CRS attack: Out of gas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Lizzie's first Model T ride was going to be for just a couple of miles. But we only got about a mile before running out of gas. Running board cans may be just a decoration for some folks, but for those of us who operate in a fog of senility they're a very practical accessory. We went on into town and I filled the car and the can I had dumped into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Steve, you need the "Gaso-Phone"! :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/374843.html?1374036253

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Steve, I've run out of gas a number of times. You'd think a body would learn after maybe the third or fourth time, but..... Just for that reason I always carry an extra gallon on gas.

You can see the gas can spout sticking out between the box on the left and the slow triangle sign. My Dad always told me (and anyone else), if you can't use your head, you have to use your feet. Join the 'Out of Gas Club'. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

If you can't remember the last time you filled her up, do it again! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Shoot, I ran out twice in one day. 1st time was the excitement to have all four tires on the ground after 3 weeks on jack stands. I rolled out the drive and ran out 1/2 mile from home. My wife saved me from walking and brought me a can of gas.
No! She didn't walk to get it. She was home.
That same day went for 1st run of any distance and ran out about a mile from home. This time I just pulled out the can in the Bed of the truck out and didn't have to walk .
Now it doesn't leave without the reserve can in the back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Hey you guys, Langs, Snyders, R.V. Anderson, Chaffins and all those guys give away ( as in FREE ) gas gauge sticks that make it easy to check the gas before you start out.

That really helps to avoid running out of gas... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Steve,

The ROOG (Ran Out Of Gas) club is a worldwide organization with millions of members.

Most incidents can be directly attributed to a Cerebral Malfunction - a common occurrence among the chronographically endowed.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Cranial rectitus is my reason for ROOG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Keith.....but U have to use it!!! Sometimes it's too much trouble to lift the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Hal's right. If I can't remember to put gas in it, what makes you think I'll remember to use that stick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Dallas,

That condition is also known as Insufficient Rectal Cranial Separation.

Hal,

"Lifting the Seat" is an ongoing issue for men.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:28 am:

It's a natural tendency to shake the gas pump nozzle before you put it back in the pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:43 am:

Why do men have a tendency to shake the gas nozzle before returning it to the pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Eugene...it's called "good to the last drop"!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:16 am:

CRS strikes again! turned the gas off while at a show forgot to turn it back on when I left :-( made it about 1.5 blocks. Wife will not let that one alone! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Joined the ROOG club several years ago while giving rides at the annual neighborhood picnic. My passenger at the time was an older lady.

We came to a stop about a block from the picnic site and had to walk back to get help. Along the way I was apologizing for making her get out and walk, but she was all smiles. She said that was the first time in 50 years that a guy had tried the "out of gas" strategy on her and she couldn't wait to tell all her girl friends.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Joined the ROOG club this year. I thought I had enough gas to get to the gas station but overestimated the level needed to keep the engine running. The last gallon or two do not get used. I ran out about 200 yards short of the gas station.
I was half way to the gas station when one of the neighbors came out with a can of gas from his boat shed and had dumped a whole four gallons in the tank by the time I got back to the car. He refused my money and just wanted to help out and get some pictures of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I had over a dozen little red 1 or 2 gallon cans a few years ago.

Every time I ran out of gas, I would get a ride to the nearest gas station, while my wife sat and waited in my hot roadster, and some kind person would drive me back with my new red can full of gas.

Then I developed a fail safe system. I would not bother to measure the tank level, I would just fill up every morning, noon and night, when on a tour.

That system failed last February, when halfway through Georgia, on my trip to the Florida Winter Tour.

My system for the tow vehicle is to fill up when the gauge gets to half a tank, just in case I get stuck in creep and crawl traffic on the Interstate.

That time, I violated my rule, as it was getting late, and I only had 40 miles to go to the Georgia state line, where I planned to spend the night.

I decided, I would just fill up there in the morning.

A good plan, but when you get up early, still half asleep, you might forget to check the gas gauge, like I did that day.

My vehicle coughed and quit about half way through Georgia and some of those exits are 20 miles apart!

A friend had a gallon can in his Model T and poured it in my tank.

I told him that would be good for about 10 miles for sure.

We finally got to an exit and got off heading for the closest gas station and was at the pump, just 8 1/2 miles later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

Decades ago. about 20 miles north of Reno was a lone gas station located where Highway 70 met & ended at Hwy 395, the location was and is known as Hallelujah Junction. I was one of those remote bars with two pumps in the front. Today there is still a gas station there, but now it's an overpass and on/off ramps. Back to my story. Dad is taking the family to see our Aunt and Uncle & Cousins in Minden, Nevada--about an hour south of Reno (then, it's shorter now); so here's the car full of us kids and off we go over hwy 89 past McCloud, Through Susanville (with maybe a stop at the Bakery there), and on down lonely 395, then a two-lane road going up and down the hills. Uh Oh, as we rise over one hill, sputter sputter die. But look! There's Hallelujah Junction at the bottom of the hill!!! We coasted in! Whew!
And that, I believe is why it got it's name, we weren't the first ones!
Another time we ran out not far from Minden, and I was to ride in to my Uncle's house with some kids who stopped to help. Well, these kids thought they should show the "Big City" kid some stuff and insisted on doing some broadies on the football field grass. Little did they know that Dunsmuir wasn't any bigger than Minden (we even shared the same high school mascot and colors)--but I did recognize crazy when I saw it!
Come to think of it, running out of gas was pretty common in my childhood! I even did it in college when I was driving my '39 Ch**y sedan--but it had a broken gas gauge--that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Out of gas!!
It arrived to me just before summer.
I had rebuild an engine for a Canadian 1914 Runabout.
To make it run I put 4 liter gas in the tank and make the engine run a few times to make it free.
After having rebuild the car I made a test drive and 2km from home it stopped running. It took me about an hour, checking all the car, to find out I was running out of gas.
Filled it up and it is running great since than, Just need to fill it with gas once in a while before it is running out.

Andre
Belgium

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration