Condition of Rod bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Condition of Rod bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

I've been helping a friend to freshen up his 1921 engine and we are on a budget. After checking the rod and main bearings we found that they all can be tightened up with the shims, but #3 rod bearing has a crack in the rod end of the bearing. The cap is OK. The crack doesn't look new, but I'm a little concerned about this one.

Looks like the babbit is pulling away from the rod. I'm thinking that it would be best to either re-babbit this rod or to replace it. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Yes, re-babbitt or replace it. Do it now while the engine is open.

Just my opinion.....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

It doesn't appear there is much of a tinning on the rod for the babbitt to adhere to. Makes me wonder what the other rods are like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Replace it is my opinion. You can find nice used rods at swap meets if you look for them.
I found a never used rebabbitted set at Chickasha for 40.00.
They came from an old dealership.
I passed up some good used ones that were 5.00 each.
Thin or cracked babbitt best be avoided.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Replace it. If the babbit breaks, you might find that the entire engine will need rebuilding. I have a friend whose babbit on #4 broke up and ruined the magneto coils. It could also ruin the crankshaft or cause other worse problems. It might run a while as it is, but when it goes, it will be at an unexpected time and place.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration