Running board gas, oil, water cans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Running board gas, oil, water cans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Bought these after seeing them local on craigslist. I've only seen one other photo of ones like it and I believe the blue can used to be green, so a repaint is in order.

The questions are: who made them, when, and if i mount them on the running board of my '20 touring, where should they go? I'm thinking next to the false door, or between the false door and the rear door, but then the ford logo gets covered up.

Unfortunately they all have pinholes so they will be purely decorative. I can see why they might not have been too popular. If you set one down on uneven ground with the cap off, they roll and dump the contents out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Yee... I have a set of these on my '24 Roadster. I read where they really needed sealing before use. I tried some left over gas tank sealant, front when I did that... but was too impatient and got it on the outside of the candidates and still leaked. Dad had them mounted on tje driver's side, toward the back of the running board.

As I converted the roadster to a pickup, I have thought about mounting elsewhere around d the pickup bed, but have more pressing things to do before the mounting them.

They are a great addition (especially, when useable!)! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Oh... and mine were red, white and green. I never run out of oil... but fast and occasional water, perhaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

We have the same ones on our 26 Fordor. Yes, the blue should be green. We took the cans to WalMart and the paint they had was pretty close to the original colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Those are Monarch brand accessory cans. A set recently sold on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ford-Model-A-or-T-Automobile-Monarch-Accessory-R unning-Board-Tank-Set-/201620297636?hash=item2ef18197a4%3Ag%3A-EcAAOSwyKxXgUwP&v xp=mtr&nma=true&si=uo%252Flo%252BtC9MmrVxruckoBzN9V1HI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc &_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Thanks Ed, Yeah! I knew someone would know what they were!
Now I just have to figure out how to re-create that decal....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

i have done the decal came out good but lost the forest city Iowa name on the outside. i have a few left. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

oops, webbster city. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Cans go on the front of the running board, grocery carrier in back.

Pinholes can be fixed if they're not too bad. I soldered one on my biggest can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Why bother?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Here's a set currently for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-RARE-GAS-OIL-AND-WATER-CANS-IN-BRACKET-FOR- AUTO-RUNNING-BOARDS-/351823452592?hash=item51ea4fd9b0:g:IScAAOSw5ClXxHPs&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I just finished welding up holes that were drilled in a NICE original running board for a tool box! What a horrible thing to do to an original untouched running board! I'm still working on it. I wish that former owner was alive; I'd give him my thoughts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:37 am:

Why bother? Because running out of gas far from any filling station can result in a long and very inconvenient walk.

There's no need to drill holes in a running board. Making mounting brackets for cans or a tool box "ain't rocket surgery."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:35 am:

I just perched a set of running board cans and one of the cans is missing a cap. Can anyone tell me where I can find a matching cap. And what colors are used for gas, oil and water?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:41 am:

If they are just pinholes, any chance of using something like the Bill Hirsch gas tank sealer to repair them? They would be really handy if functional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:54 am:

A set of cans has magically appeared on Ebay today (I have no connection to the listing or the seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-RARE-GAS-OIL-AND-WATER-CANS-IN-BRACKET-FOR- AUTO-RUNNING-BOARDS-/351823452592?hash=item51ea4fd9b0:g:IScAAOSw5ClXxHPs&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Ken,

Possibly one of the largest manufacturers of running board mounted can sets, or "Emergency Set" as they were called in the Western Auto catalogs during the twenties, was a metal stamping and sheet metal manufacturer in Los Angeles named Boyle Manufacturing Company.

They also had a plant in Alameda, California. They marketed their products under the trade name of "BoYcO". The capital letters are not a typo.

Boyco manufactured many types of stamped metal products such as waste paper cans, one and two gallon gasoline cans, etc. I have a running board "Emergency Set" for my '26 Touring that was apparently made in the latter part of the 20's. It's a low profile set that the holder covers the entire set of cans with the exception of the ends of the outer cans. I have reproduced the decal for those sets of cans. Fortunately, the original decal was about 99% intact when I got my set.

The set retained it's original paint. Although I can't say that all of the cans produced by Boyco were painted exactly like my set, I can say that, since the majority of the exterior of the cans have been covered by the holder since new, the paint colors are, most likely, as they were originally.

The gasoline can is red, however it is not a brilliant red as I see on most of the cans such as yours. It is a muddy red. Similar to that of Campbell's tomato soup. Next, the oil can, which is the smallest of the three, is blue. Again, not a brilliant blue but, more of a medium dull blue-grey. Lastly, the water can which is the same size as the gas can, is not white but a light grey. I rarely, if ever, see repainted cans using these colors.

My set does not require holes to be drilled into the running board to mount it. It is mounted with "C" shaped clamps that are attached to the can set holder.

Unfortunately Ken, I am not sure who manufactured your particular set. It may have been Boyco, but I can't be sure. I do remember seeing reproductions of the cans in your set. I just can't remember who makes or sells them. I do remember that they were a bit. pricey.

Hope my information helped you. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Howell's Sheet metal was reproducing them a few years ago.

http://www.fordor.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:43 am:

That is the Boyco Caps I was referring to above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

This product has the Robert Miller seal of approval and works perfectly on pinhole leaks.

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-Cycle-Tank-Repair-Kit/dp/B000H9K4JQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie= UTF8&qid=1472576017&sr=8-2&keywords=por-15+motorcycle+fuel+tank+repair+kit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

John Mosher - I found the cap from Sterno liquid chaffing dish fuel was identical to the cap on my Boyco style cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

I've had more people ask me what the cans were on the running board. I have my BoYcO cans painted red, white and blue sort of patriotic.

I found some caps that fit perfectly that came off the Sterno type containers that provide the heat for a chaffing dish. There's no name but they do fit. Send me a PM if you need one, John.

When I ran outta gas the spare can was empty....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Steve, What kind of lube are you getting out of the hose? Looks cheaper than the grease Iam buying? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

May not be actual BoYcO can set, but this period adv. notes the colors.

Gray for water, makes sense as 'gray water' is moniker for non-drinking water.

Blue for oil, still today blue is used for oil cans.

Red for gasoline, like today's red containers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Scott, it's dihydrogen monoxide. It can be deadly, so you have to be careful with it.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration