ADDICTION!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: ADDICTION!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

It really is no lie that the Model T hobby is and addiction like I've read in so many posts,
all I think about is going out in that garage (my man cave) and working on that car! To see any progress, every little thing that I complete is very satisfying.It sucks that I don't have enough time to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Doug,

I've had my Model T Coupe for 14 years It took over 6 years to restore it and run it so it does take time to get it done when other life functions get in the way. Don't get discouraged the time will come when your out and about in the T and you won't remember how long it really took. They never stay single very long I have a '27 Tour too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

I hear you, Doug. After my 26 cut off touring sat unloved in my garage for two years (who would have thought the promotion that allowed me to buy it would take away all my free time?) I put my foot down this summer and set a goal of one piece per day. If I can get one thing tidied up each day and made ready to reinstall, I'm happy with myself. Some days I can't get out to the garage and some days I can knock out a dozen little things so I think I'm doing okay.

Mine's becoming whole again one piece at a time, just as I'm sure yours is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:19 am:

Twenty some years ago, I got the center-door sedan I had then done by working on it at least ONE hour every night. Now, I am trying to do the same thing with my '15 runabout. Still going slower than I want it to. But progress is being made. No matter how bad I feel, as long as we are not out of town all day, I try to get at least one full hour working on the car. A couple nights ago, I was working on it at 3:am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Wayne,
That after 12pm time has to be counted for the next day, it doesn't count for the now-previous day!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:50 am:

Mrs. Hemple awoke at 3:00 AM to find that her husband had not come in from the garage. Fearing the worst she put on her robe and went to find him. His feet were sticking out from under the Mercer. She was somewhat relieved to hear him snoring. Still, she kicked him saying "It's bad enough that you spend all your time and money on her. But you don't have to sleep with her!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Rich, Thanks for telling us about Mrs. Hemple...... we needed that! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

Rich, I think you have the subject for a new painting! Al La Ben Sharpsteen (who always put something funny happening in his car scene paintings--usually you had to look for it).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

I've been collecting cars for years and for years I've resisted getting a Model T thinking they were too "common". I finally realized how wrong I was and got my 1914 Touring. I am SOOOOOOO sorry I didn't do it much, much sooner. After owning many antiques (I still have four others) I haveneer had so much fun with a car in my life!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

David, You mean I cannot count that one hour for both days????
Marty, Somehow, I too, started out believing that model Ts were "too common" (there, I SAID IT!). Fortunately, for me, I was still in high school when I met a few model T and model A people. I was working on my first T speedster within about a year.
Most of those model T and model A people became my best friends. And the ones that are still alive are still my best friends to this day! I cannot thank them, not any of them, enough. But thank you Ed, Dan, Dan, Steve, and Glen, thank you all. All of my best friends today, I have met through model Ts (and model As).

About ten years after high school, I was married, had a couple kids, and serious medical bills. I had to sell too many things. Any model T worth anything went. Most the non-Fords also went. But a couple I managed to hang onto. A few years later, I put together another T, then bought another. A few more years later, they also had to be sold. But I still had a couple non-Fords. At that time, I decided that I NEVER wanted to not have a model T again! I now have three Ts together and near ready to tour. And I am working on putting the '15 runabout together which will probably become the last car I ever let go of. The Studebakers are gone. The Pierce Arrow is long gone (along with a few others). And the Fuller is gone. I still have the Paige and the gasoline carriage. Both of them are apart and were too difficult to sell when I needed to. (Oh, and the Metz.)
I love most antique automobiles. Always have. (My definition still is at least pre-WWII.) But most of the best people I have ever known, had at least one model T.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Got interrupted again.
I meant to also say "Great story" Richard E! I loved it! (And I did need a good laugh!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I heard Mrs, Hemple tell that story more than once. Dick was as addicted to old cars as anyone. He had mostly Steamers that he rebuilt and traded up for. He owned the Howard Hughes Doble and 2 Whites that Mr. Leno now cares for. He hated my yellow Model T speedster, but gave me a ride in the Mercer so I would know what a real car was like. Some of us put up with his arrogance just to be around the neat cars. I guess old cars makes some of us disagreeable.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration