Wanted: two demountable wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wanted: two demountable wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Hollandbeck on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I'm just starting a T restoration and am in need of two demountable wheels. Not looking for perfect but must be restorable; don't care about the condition of the spokes as I will have all wheels re-spoked as part of the restoration. T is a 1917.

Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

I have some. Maybe someone closer to you does too. Shipping cost???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Hollandbeck on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Okay, I'm really new to this and after looking at what's on the car I think that I might need three and not two (I would like one spare wheel). Two of the wheels on the car are very close to 22.25" diameter while my extra wheel is more like 24". I understand that demountable are not period correct and that's not a problem for me. I'm looking for three to match my two identical wheels (22.25" diameter).

22.25" wheel one
22.25" wheel two
24" wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Hi Dan, Looking at your pictures, it looks like you have an old tire on one of the rims. Can you read the size on it? It might be 30 x 3 1/2 Oversize. Knowing that would help.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Those first two pictures look like 21 inch to me, not clinchers. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Me to David. Straight sided rims in photos 1 and 2 and a clincher in number 3.
It would also help if the mounting bolts/lugs were shown.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Dan, I agree with David and Allan, it looks like you have two different size and type (straight side = 440 x 21" and clincher = 30 x 3 1/5 Oversize) wheels. Could you please compare them and let us know?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Hollandbeck on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Okay, hope that this sheds some light on my request. My objective is to have five identical wheels (four on the car and one spare). I realize that there are different sizes here, which is why I amended my request to needing three of the 22.25" style. I am very new to the T world and my chassis needs a lot of work. I'm going to need a lot of help so I may become a frequent poster here as the knowledge base appears to be tremendous.

First two pictures are of the 22.25" style on the car. There is a tire on this wheel but it is completely disintegrated; I can't read anything on it.

22.25" wheel bolt one
22.25" wheel bolt two

The 24" wheel mounting bolt looks like:

24" wheel bolt one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

None of those wheels came on that car new. Do you want to restore this as new, or a more practical way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

And let's see pictures of all the rest of it. From the looks of the front axle and original type shackles still on it, you might have a relatively unmolested survivor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

And, this is by no means the end of the world. Unless there is an optical illusion, it appears that sometimes in the last 100 years someone jerk the old gal outta the mud by tying the rope to the middle of the front axle. Poor policy.Results in axle with pronounced bow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Hollandbeck on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Hi Jim, I haven't completely decided. The car appears to have been used as a donor more than once but the carb is now at Russ Potter's and he says that it is definitely the one that came on the car from the factory so that's encouraging. We are the car's third owner since purchased new in 1917 but don't let that fool you, it has a long way to go. Just pulled the engine and transmission over the weekend and will be getting it rebuilt once parts come in. I'd like to get the wheel situation sorted just because they are the next thing to come off.

I saw that huge bend in the axle but figured that it can be straightened. I'll post more pictures as I move this project forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Daniel, when I built my 1917 shooting brake, I used later demountable rims and tyres. These are like the ones in your last photo. They will be 30 x 3/2" beaded edge tyres. These are the most common size for a T.

You will need a set of hubs and four good felloes to have them re-spoked. The harder parts to find will be 5 good rims, but these are available new if you have the dollars.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Dan, It looks like the first two pictures you posted (today) are straight side, split rims and they would take 440 x 21" tires.

The last picture you posted today is a clincher rim and would take 30 x 3 1/2 tires. I feel that is the size you would want for your '17. The clincher wheels and rims came in different types, and the rims do not interchange between them all.

I suggest that you take the clincher wheel & rim that you have (you said that you're going to have them re-spoked anyway) and get more of that type so you have a full set. Then get rims and make sure that they fit all of your wheels.

Having all your wheels and rims fit each other is important. I know someone who had a nice clincher rim with a nice tire for a spare, but it wouldn't fit any of his wheels. You don't want to find out something like that when you have a flat. :-(

Give me a call if you have any questions on this....you have my number.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Daniel, yes straighten it. Do not replace it.That car more than likely came with that scare ended spring. And it does not appear to have the upper leaves ground into the lower ones. And that figure eight shackle shows almost no wear.Also,yourfront crossmember is not all beat down. And those cork float Holley and Kingston carburetors that came on that car were usually replaced with a newer one as the twenties roared on. My point is,that car could not have been used much.It spent decades in the weather, but you may have a lot of original mechanical components that are very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

And, why the hell does sPELLCheck not like the word 'square'.I fought with the bastard thing before, then and now. And I had b-a-s-t up and it came up with bastard. Why not square?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration