Ot: 1928 Dodge Senior 6 question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ot: 1928 Dodge Senior 6 question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Apologies in advance for this question. A local guy has a really nice 1928 Dodge Bros Senior 6 he wants to trade for my 1930 A Coupe. Assuming they are in similar condition, is this a good trade? I know some of you guys also have Model A s , I don't know anything about Dodge Bros cars except there are fewer of them than A s. Locked out of Ford barn for some reason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Good in what respect, resale value?

To me, old cars are a hobby, not an investment business. If you each think that you like the other guy's car better than the one you currently have, swap for a week or two, and if you still feel the same way after that, go for it.

My two cents. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Coupe or Sedan??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

The dodge is a four door sedan. The A is a Coupe. All opinions are very appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Would you rather be waiting or looking for parts or driving and having fun?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Very good advice Mark. Sometimes my own opinion is flawed. I just don't want to take a financial hit on this deal no matter how I may feel at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

That's my main worry Kenneth. There's nothing broken on it now, but it's only a matter of time. On the other hand ,I do have another A and a T to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Bud has the obvious point. Even if the Dodge is a restored car, sooner or later something is going to need serviced.IF it was a Coupe, maybe, just to have something different. But not a four door. I nearly traded my '29 A roadster for a '21 Dodge roadster in equal or better shape. Fate intervened on their end and the deal died. I was relieved. I have messed around with a Dodge doodlebug. My patience with vacuum fuel systems is limited. Especially when they have unseen holes. When I was done, the holes were easily visible. .22+ in diameter, and a bunch of 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Your Model A coupe is worth more than 10k, the Dodge is worth less than 10k. Model A parts are readily available, Dodge parts are not. There is a good demand for Model A Fords, not so for the Dodge.

Unless you are permanently in love with the Dodge, I suggest you pass. If you want an even trade you should get some cash.

There is a Dodge 4 door for sale by a family in our Dallas Model T club. You may be able to have your cake and eat it too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:08 am:

Brent, if you are looking for more room for passengers it is not a bad trade. The Dodge is a good car, more car in fact than the model A. Most parts you will need for it are available, but not nearly as many as can be had for the model A. Don't be afraid to step away from the Ford. If both are in the same condition, it's fair and you will like it. I am saying this as both a Ford T, A, and Dodge Brothers owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:22 am:

There is a nice Dodge Bros. club, but it's nothing like the Model A clubs in size. The Dodge is well-engineered, but parts are more difficult to find, as are tours organized for them. The Model A has a very large supportive group with it.
And, as others have mentioned, the Model A has a higher value than most DB cars for many of these reasons, not because it is any less of a motor vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Brent:
as others have mentioned the Dodge Brothers is a better engineered auto. and is a pleasure to drive ...in addition to the longer wheel base and semi-elliptic spring suspension , the steering and 4 wheel hydraulic brakes are far superior to the model A 's ...i had a 1928 victory Six that i wish i still had ( lost to late wife's medically induced bankruptcy).in many cases you may have to refer to universal parts catalogs for suitable mechanical replacement parts ...i re-machined a Delco distributor to replace the Pot Metal NorthEast unit and used universal brake cyl. cups to rebuild the wheel and master cyls. ...if you go to NAPA and ask for points for a NorthEast dist. for a 28 DB they will probably be lost ...i could get parts for my re-fitted Delco unit at Wal Mart ...as with many old cars , you have to be innovative and willing to think about and work on a repair ...IF your question is ...will people pay as much for the 1928 DB as a Model A ? in the same condition , people will generally pay more for the model A and it will cost more to restore the Dodge Brothers ...i would not be afraid of the DB AT ALL ...as John Dodge said ..."someday all these people who have bought Fords will want a real automobile"...always an optimist...Gene French DB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Can you make the Dodge sound like a model A?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Ken.., passed a '30 Model A today, flashed my high beams and waved.....appreciation on both sides !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Brent,

My parents own a 1928 Dodge Victory Six four door sedan and it is a very well made car. It is much more car than a Model A and I say that being the owner of a 1928 Model A for over 40 years. If I remember correctly, the Dodge cost $1,095 new compared to a Model A Sedan for under $600. The six cylinder engine has seven main bearings with pressure lubrication along with factory hydraulic brakes, factory oil filter and factory PCV valve. They are great tour cars and very reliable.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Dodge had a PCV valve in 1928? I don't think so!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Brent,

I think it boils down to this. If, condition wise, all things are equal, you've just gotta ask yourself if you really want a 1926 Dodge. Will you enjoy the Dodge more than the A? If you can't see it being any more fun than the A, then why do it? I guess your other options are to trade the A for money, or to simply keep it. Which option would you enjoy more?

(Notice, none of my thoughts involved relative value. If you really won't like the car, the value of one versus the other will make little to no difference.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

John,
Why do you doubt that? There were accessoy crankcase breather units for the model A. Dodge really was "ahead of the times" over Ford. It's just that nowadays the Ford has outlived the other cars, because of lack of wood in the bodies (Improved Ford on--and excepting the Sedans up to '31) and quantities of production. So it's just harder to keep the DB on the road, but it's very doable. I just want Brent to be aware of the decisions he will be making.
For instance, my '16 DB touring has some broken springs, I have to scrounge around to find some (think I have succeeded too) and maybe adapt something to fit; on the A or T, one can buy new springs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

David, PM me if you like. I know the whereabouts of a couple Dodge chassis of about '18-'22.Do not know what springs are like but I can inquire. Yes, Dodge Bros. built a great car. And they would have been a blast to go drinking with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I doubt that because the PCV valve wasn't invented until WW2 when tanks had to cross deep rivers. The water would have flowed into the crankcase, so the road draft tube was no longer a practical method of venting the crankcase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

I think an old Dodge from that era is pretty well built. Unfortunately, they are about as popular as a good headache when it comes to resale value. I had a 1940 "Pleemuth" 2-door one time. I got out of it exactly what I had in it, minus labor...and felt very lucky. It ran like a sewing machine and rode/drove a lot better than my Early V8 Fords, even with a front end that was completely worn out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

How much do you drive the Model A? Would you drive the Dodge more or less? Everyone has a Model A or T why not be different. :-) Maybe Craig Anderson will chime in or ask the same question over on;
http://www.smokstak.com/
Or maybe even log on to one of the Dodge forums and ask what they think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I knew I could count on you guys. Great advice by all. Y'all are truly the best. I will probably do the trade mainly because I have another really nice 1930 A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:45 am:

On second thought the Dodge Victory 6 is a real automobile with an all steel body, modern engine, and hydraulic brakes. Go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Good, Brent, these decisions are ultimately up to each individual.There is a big difference in the way these cars. A good friend wound up with a real decent '26 Whippet Coach. It runs and drives well. But, for a ride around the neighborhood after closing up shop, his home made T pickup or the T roadster he got from me are the cars of choice. Now, if the Whippet were a roadster..... I hesitate to mention it, but this Whippet is available. North Central Indiana. PM me if anyone interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Well, he probably drives the Ts because at the end of the day, he doesn't want to feel "Whippeted."

Sorry, once I thought of it, I couldn't resist posting it!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Jim,
pm sent

john

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration