BY JOVE SIR - THAT IS NO FORD !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: BY JOVE SIR - THAT IS NO FORD !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Coach built British effort by CREWFORD of London ,dropped front axle and their own radiator similar to Belgian Metallurgique , and wire wheels by Universal ...........only produced for two years .
Rare as ...?

Victor .crewford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:56 am:

I say, quite nice indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Hmm, the aluminum bonnet is a bit pretentious, wouldn't you say old chap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:14 am:

David Sir ; Not at all ; a matter of thrift . We ran out of paint , and could not afford a front door - or a footman ,for that matter . Gives the chauffeur something to polish up while waiting for milady ..........She can open her own darned door .

Smithkins III ( Royal Guards Dismissed ).

Anyone wanting a muleskinner or adventurous rabbit trapper migrant ?

Victor .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:25 am:

Victor,

Neat photo. I would guess sometime between 1921 when the fender lamps [mudguard mounted lamps] were first fitted to the starter equipped cars in England and Jan 1924 when the drop frame parts became available (ref page 230 English Ford Book for those dates). I don't think they would go to trouble to drop axle that way, when they could have purchased a chassis that was already lowered.

The English Fords were Left Hand Drive from Sep 1919 (ref page 229) and returned to Right Hand Drive 12 Jan 1923 (ref page 230). But I can't see if they changed the steering column or just the steering wheel. If the steering column was a stock English Ford part -- then probably between Jan 1923 when Ford of England went back to RHD and before Jan 1924 when the drop frame chassis was introduced.

Again, thank you so much for posting the photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Victor, LOL!! Good fun here, eh?
I wonder if any of these survived?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

I had noticed the unpainted bonnet myself. However paid it little attention having had seen other British cars with a similar treatment. Vauxhall seems to come to mind.
Wonderful photo!
Victor, Thank you.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy. W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration