HELP . . Rag in Planetary Gears!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: HELP . . Rag in Planetary Gears!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Had my Grandson helping over the weekend - ended up with an extra RAG 'cranked' into gears in Transmission! HELP . . any 'EASY' solution to maybe 'dissolve it? Or some suggestion . . ANY suggestion . . Thanks guys!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:02 am:

Certainly depends naturally on how "deeply tangled" it got...you may have to pull the hogshead at the very least to get it all out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Try rolling it backwards to feed it back out. Worked for me once. Whatever you do, you have to get it ALL out or you risk plugging the inside oil line with the shreads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Well, hopefully it is a nice 'soft'shop rag and not an old work shirt with rivets and so forth. Well, for what it's worth, there was this old time mechanic named Otis Smythe near Peru,Indiana.Otis had Converted his shop into an antique store. One afternoon I was there when he was telling a guy how to do a short cut repair on some older model car rear-end. Something how you packed a shop rag around a bearing assembly to hold it together while you bolted bolted things together. The guy asked what happened to the shop rag. Otis said 'oh, hell, that's soft, it just grinds up'. I'd have to think about it awhile but I might use that approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:11 am:

The problem with leaving the rag in the motor is that it will block the oil lines. The potential results are not worth the risk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Tony, I am not disagreeing with that. But, likely the only way you can get that out of there is to pull the crankcase off of it so you can get all around the triple gears. Once I was helping a friend tighten up his high-speed clutch. HOT day. Due to the effects of several pint cans, apiece, of Haffenreffer Private Stock malt liquor we left the panty hose in that we had stuffed in there. And I did not remember that until some days later when I was conducting a post-mortem of my subsequent activities. It had been driven considerably in the interim. We changed oil a couple times, and to be safe we pulled the timing cover off and blew out the oil feed pipe. Was this the best practice? Absolutely not. But, sometimes person has neither time nor patience to do things perfectly. And a couple owners later, that 'hillbilly'car is still going strong,25+ years later. Peened together water jacket crack and all. This was built as a short trip grandkids hauler, not a high speed tour car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

When I was a kid , my dad bought a 64 ch$vy with a straight 6.
Great running car but he found that oil pressure was low. Digging into it he found a fuzzy woman's house coat stuffed into valve cover. The lifters were nice one quiet .
Oil pressure not so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

With a case like this, you might get lucky or you might not, but if you are unlucky, it will cost you dearly. Try removing the hogs head and turn the engine backward and try to pull the rag out. If you know the shape and size of the rag before it went in, such as a shop towel, you will probably be able to determine whether you got it all. Unfortunately some of it might be in the oil pipe.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Pull the hogshead and pull the oil inspection pan. Should be able to determine transmission is empty and clear of rag. Then run a piece of weedeater line or a guitar or bass string through your oil line and you'll be able to get out anything in there.

The hogshead will be the worst part, but it's better to just bite the bullet and be sure there's nothing in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

I realize and agree that the best way to solve this is tear-down and get all of the rag out. And I further agree that a plugged oil feed tube is not a good thing, especially in hilly country. When I first got in this hobby, I started keeping track of the serial numbers of engines that passed through my hands.35 or so years ago there seemed like there was a starter type engine in every third corncrib.The list got up to several dozen.Even most of the ones I sold or traded away I took apart so you could see what you were getting into.And about 80% of the ones with good, usable mains and rods had oil feed tubes packed so full of carbon and band fuzz you could not rod them out. Obviously the flywheel creates enough of a oil tidal wave that it splashes all the way forward without that pissy little tube. And I just remembered where I wrote the numbers down. On the back flyleaves and loose sheets of paper stuck in my copy of Obscurity. That information left me when I gave that book to Gordon Kirwan when he was at my place in '91.Gordon owned the '10 that was in Less Henrys restoration manual. I miss Gordon. Who got the '10 Touring and his '11 Torpedo??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:32 am:

I agree with Dale, I had rags in with bands, not gears, but pushing forward and back was the answer. Although, final count (you should always count!) was not clear. At any rate, further rolling more than initial few feet yielded two more of the suckers!! whew!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration