OT - Old Car Festival: who's going, and what car(s) are you taking if any?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Old Car Festival: who's going, and what car(s) are you taking if any?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Getting ready for the OCF. Yesterday I started the Model N for the first time in almost two years. There was only about an inch of gas left in the tank, and it smelled like varnish, so I was expecting to have to clean the carb. However, it started on the second pull. Now for lube, brass shining and cleaning.

Dearborn, here I come.........

The Queen and Princess:

Let's set a time for a forum gathering at the Eagle Tavern on Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Rob,

Is the N the car that was at Swanson's 100th?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Gary,

Yes. It's N number 3 with aftermarket rumble seat, fenders and running boards. If Trent B. has time, maybe he will give me a few pointers about it at OLF. Two years ago he pointed out some early features about the chassis that I should have written down (and obviously forgot....).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Randall Anderson has been trying to get me to go for years, so I'm going. He'll be showing me the ropes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:17 am:

We'll be there with our '14 Touring. I'll be parked with the '14's and not to far away and maybe next to Bud DeLong.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:43 am:

The N looks like it's sad, and turning away from the Queen who has stolen your attention. "Now you want me to stand next to her?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

I'll have my '16 Touring there. I believe I'm lined up to do a side curtain demo with returning Wade Leonard.

Tom Jr. will have his '12 and his '29 roadster that he's been making me help him get ready.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Tom, I will join you with my 1916 touring. I presume we will be in the boulevard behind the stands again this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Tom - Agreed,

We'll both be next to the Steve with his dessert wagon. Ummmm Cherry Cobbler.

Although.... Now that we've gotten used to parking there, they'll probably move us again. They built the playground where we used to park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

I'll be there with my speedster and Model N. If it's gonna rain however the N will stay home. I don't have an enclosed trailer for the N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Both of my kids have their cars registered...

Text description

Text description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Jerry, I didn't mean to imply you were my kid but since you didn't post a pic of your speedster, I thought I would help you out in the process.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

I will be there with my '19 Runabout and doing lots of driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

I will be there without my T. I have wanted to see the Henry Ford and Greenfield village for a quite a while. What time is everyone getting together at the Eagle Tavern?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

I'll be there with my 1914 T touring and my 1923 American LaFrance Brockway Torpedo fire engine. We'll take it over to Swanee to pump at least once each day. Also, (sigh) my list day narrating after 35 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

I'll be there with a 1911 Openrunabout. 1st time. Looking forward to meeting some people from this forum. White ford pickup with a towboat sign on the doors. We're camping in the back lot with a fifth wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

I'll be there with my '14 Touring in the judging area, hopefully right in front of the Eagle Tavern like last year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I am going to have my 1917 American LaFrance/Ford, Type A two tank chemical fire truck there. Looking forward to it!

My folks will have their 1915 English Station Omnibus there this year.

Hoping for good weather!!

Travel safely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I also have an open trailer and a brass car. I'm going to shrink wrap before I leave TN. And during wrap for the trip home. Went to San Antonio once in the rain and spent 1/2 day cleaning and polishing brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

It's starting to look like our last year but we will be parked with the 14's hopefully close to the shade tree.Last year i missed so many people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

I plan on being in the judging area with my '14 T Touring and '31 A pickup. My parents are flying out from NY to join. Dad is 80, and the person I have to blame for my love of cars.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Let's plan on 3:00 p.m. Saturday at the Eagle.

We don't want to get too lit before we light the lamps...........

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Brent,

Thanks! That's a really cool photo. The girl with me is Marie, my fiance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Congratulations Jerry.......

Maybe a Piquette wedding?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Richard, I'd like some pointers and photos concerning shrink wrapping! I too have an open trailer and it rained on and off last year as I hauled her down to the OCF. I've never shrink wrapped a car before and would be interested in how to do it successfully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:48 am:

A couple of weeks ago i saw the Ford built Model A tandum and talked with the owner.He said the buss will be at the OCF this year! Bud. PS, Where was it found??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Kim and I will be bringing our 1904 Northern. I know it isn't a Ford, but they would only let me bring one and it has never been there. Going to miss parking with all the other '14s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Bill, first I'll say I'm no expert in shrink wrapping, but I would think it would be a recipe for paint disaster at 60 mph. Somewhere on that car there's gonna be "flailing". Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Shrink wrap is the way to go. No flapping like a tarp would Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:59 am:

We'll be there with the '27 Fordor. Didn't enter the judging this time. Not sure where they'll park us. Staying on site in the motorhome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Many years ago I bought a beautiful, original 1911 Oakland in Oddessa TX. I only had an open trailer, and the car was original down to the still serviceable leather seats.

I took shrink wrap along, just in case I encountered rain. About half way back north to Lubbock, a west Texas storm appeared west on the plains. It was about 100 degrees, and I pulled over, and began wrapping the car in shrink wrap. I walked around and around the car, stepping up, on, and over the trailer as fast as I could before the storm opened up.

After about fifteen minutes I had the car looking like a cocoon, however I thought I was going to die from heat stroke.

I continued down the road, and when I reached edge of the storm, it had dissipated to nothing and about fifteen drops of water hit the windshield.

I did leave the shrink wrap on, and it stood the wind all the way back to Nebraska. If I didn't have a closed trailer, I would certainly use it again if I thought it necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

The shrink wrap I'm talking about is not the type you just wrap around. This wrap is heated with a gun, there's a belly band put around it and pads under the wrap to stop wear to the paint. It would last for years left outside. I put vents in the wrap and a zipper so I can reuse it. You have to know how to install it to do it correctly. I can run down the road at speed with no worries. It will even keep a Tudor top from inflating. The stuff I use is truly Shrink Wrap brand. I've wrapped buildings, horse buggies, boats and pallets full of goods. We made wall tents out of it in Montana for Elk hunting. Good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Rob,

I would like to hear about all the antique cars you have owned.
Now a 1911 Oakland makes an appearance? Pictures?
Please list all the cars that have come and gone.........

Thanks,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Willis,
It all began in about 1970. Dad and I built a Model T from parts on our farm and in a neighbors ravine. Later, we added a 26 T touring.

During high school I had a 69 Camaro and my interest in early cars was put on hold.

Fast forward to about 15 years ago. The wife and I were at some car show and I was whining about how I liked early cars, and she made the mistake of saying "go ahead and buy one."

At the time, we had two small kids and not much in the way of extra cash, but I ended up with a Dort sedan from Jack Hanson in Manistee MI. Later we added a black 23(?) Overland touring, then a 22 Chebby. The Dort is now at the Gilmore in MI. The Overland went to Kansas, and I'm not sure who the poor soul is that ended up with the Chebby.

About this time I really began to like brass cars, and the Oakland came up on an estate in TX. An interesting story about the Oakland. I had some unexpected costs with it (that darn sliding gear transmission, Henry Ford would have set me straight) and was a little frustrated about the amount of money I had in it.

Another old car friend (who has driven his Model T across the western U.S., and frequents this forum, and no, not Dean Yoder), happened to stop by about this time and I gave him a ride in this stately, nice running brass car. At the time, I boldly said "if I could get the money out of this car I've put in it, I'd sell it."

That evening, my friend called and said, how much do you have in it. I told him, and he bought it, on the spot.........

An hour or so later I thought "what have I done." Even my wife was surprised.......

I was beside myself. What to do? I really didn't want to sell it, I was just frustrated at the moment......

Finally, the next day, I told my soon to be ex-friend (if I went down this path) that I really didn't wish to sell, and was having second thoughts. He was obviously upset, and I was conflicted.

That evening I called Jack Hanson in Michigan (that I bought the Dort from). I had valued our earlier old car discussions and thought I would tell him about my dilemma. I was sure he, being an old car lover, would say "no problem, no money has changed hands, keep the car."

Instead, Jack said "cars come and go." "Your word is only good once."

Words to live by......

The Oakland is now at the friends, and I've found my dream car. Sometimes it all works out.

Also among past cars, a 24 T Tudor that had been a local, two owner car that my dad remembered being driven by the first owner. Then our 13 T, two 09 Ts of questionable lineage. A 1911 T open roadster now in Illinois.

We now have a nice 25 TT with Hercules cab and Perry grain box (that needs a new home), the 13 T, a 09 that I think I was swindled on, our N and K. We also owned a K touring before the K roadster.

As far as I'm concerned, this K will be the last car I own. Next on my favorite list are either the Model N, or our 13 T touring with original un-ripped upholstery.

It's been a helluva a ride...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Rob,

Thank you for the the interesting story. Another car you once owned. A 1913 Buick Touring. What happened to it? Why do you say the K roadster is the last?

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Rob's statement above: "As far as I'm concerned, this K will be the last car I own."

Translation: Other cars may come and go, but it things go as planned, he will still own his Model K Roadster when he passes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Willis,
Just noticed your questions.

I forgot about the Buick. A beautifully restored gray with dark blue trim 1913 touring Model 24. The late Greg Tocket helped sell it, and it went to England.

As to "last car," as Tim said, it is the end all for me. I cannot think of another car on the planet I would rather own. It's fast enough to drive on the freeway. Rare, controversial, and as good a car as any made in the world in regard to the engine and chassis in 1907. And, it's "only a Ford."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Show us photos of the "swindled on" 1909 Model T since this is a Model T Club and we never hear about IT

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Don,
I bought a T represented as an 09 that may have a "fake" engine. The seller is a well respected person in the Model T community and I don't believe he knew it either. I don't intend to post pics, and really don't wish to go there, even on a Model T site.
Thanks,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI.......Interestingly this 1919 Model TT chemical truck showed up for our Labor Day parade today!

TT Chemical Truck

I was in it too with my '24 Dodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

A very nice fire truck!!!!! My favorite is the one at the OCF that has printed on the side,[Same day service]!! Often they take fire engines to the pond and pump them. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Nice fire truck!

One of the many things I like about OCF are the variety of cars, and trucks.

Today I worked on the 06 N. An oil change gave me a chance to take pics of the inside of the engine. You can see the original hinged rods. On early Ns the engine number was to the right of the casting number (402). Soon a raised boss was added forward of the "402." Another early feature is the non-tapered exhaust manifold:

Hinged number 1 rod:

Front cam bushing:

Right side, oiler, pressure supplied from exhaust:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Rob,Are you missing a grease cup? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Just filling it.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:20 am:

Yes,
I,as well, enjoy seeing other varieties of cars and trucks other than Fords at the Old Car Festival. That is the one thing that makes this old car event great! A more realistic depiction of what it was like all those years ago!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Hoping to be there in my 27. On my way home from Piquette on Saturday the #1 connecting rod bearing decided to self-destruct after 31 years of faithful service. I was just thinking how quiet and relatively smooth the engine was running and then minutes later...

New one on it's way from Lang's but would like to find out why this one failed. Seemed to be plenty of oil up front and I had just adjusted the clearance within the past two years. :-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration