Oil slinger question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil slinger question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Lawson-Kingston,TN on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I am removing the magnets from my flywheel and wanted to know if I should install the oil slingers. I read stories that they are not needed and sometimes they break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:05 am:

You can get enough flow to the front of the engine with a high volume oiler on the hogshead without the slingers, but there are examples where the transmission bushings has worn out really fast without slingers, so I wouldn't dare to try without. The triple gear bushings needs all the oil mist they can get.

I don't think the faulty flimsy slingers that broke are sold any more? - if the ones you find feels stiff and sturdy and are fastened in both ends they'll probably hold for the centrifugal forces.

I made my own out of angle iron - they just need a little balancing :-)

hhh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:08 am:

I think they are a good idea if you remove the magnets. The best design should not depend on a weld to hold it in place, I like the ones designed by Texas T and now available from Birdcage and Snyder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Robert, the ones that are sold by Birdhaven are good, after having two sets of the older style break i put in the new one, they are better made.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

The ones I bought from Texas T parts back in 2009 have bracing welded across the right angle of the paddles. The only issue was with the screws - the ones supplied were for the modern repro ring gear which has a different thread. I ended up using high tensile 6mm screws which self lock in the original ring gear. Everything has been 100% so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Robert

The Texas T slinger set is good, they aren't welded at all. Have this set if you are interested, new, unused.

Comes with tap to resize the original threads in the flywheel to use the new bolts and lock washers. Add some Thread Locker when installing.

PM me if wanted... tmodelmanATcomcast.net (replace AT with @)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration