Old Photo - Model T Era - Elgin Nebraska Strret Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Elgin Nebraska Strret Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

My grandfather's old stomping grounds, looks early 20's. He would have been about 10 to 12 years old when this picture was taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Cook on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Where do you get these old Nebraska pictures? I was raised less than 50 miles from Elgin and during my career the highway through Elgin was in my territory. I haven't been there for a while, but I think that building is still the one that is there. Several years ago you also had a picture in Lyons, NE. The house in the picture belonged to a person I dealt with on highway matters and I had been in that house which is still standing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Cook on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I should have said Bancroft, NE instead of Lyons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

My paternal grandparents, John L and Olive (Tyler) Howe moved from Elgin, Nebraska to homestead south of Ekalaka, Montana in the spring of 1910. He had been a Blacksmith in Elgin for several years prior to moving to Montana to homestead. They got an immigrant car and shipped everything they had to Baker, then freighted it to the banks of Boxelder Creek some 70 miles to the south by team and wagon. There they planned to start a town and he became the first postmaster of Elgin, Montana.

The town never developed as the land that looked so promising never grew a crop. He had a blacksmith shop there, worked in Baker during the winter while she stayed on the homestead with the kids until spring when he would come home to put in the crop. My father, Seibert Howe, was born November 29, 1910 with his birthplace listed as Elgin, Montana. In 1914 they gave in and moved to Plevna where he had a blacksmith shop and built houses and had the dray service. Plevna was on the railroad which Elgin was not.

In 2010 I had planned to go to Elgin as I had found some evidence of where it had been and spend a little time there for my father's 100 birth anniversary. It was 30 below zero, snowing hard and the roads were drifting in so I didn't go.

Carter County, Montana still maintains the Elgin cemetery which is about a mile and a half from where the Post Office was and what little town ever developed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration