A New Advanced Auto Parts Regulation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A New Advanced Auto Parts Regulation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:12 am:

So I go into Advanced Auto Parts to buy a $4.95 item.

I hand the clerk a $10 and he brings up a computer screen and says, "LAST NAME?"

I could see a whole lot of other blanks, like FIRST NAME, PHONE NUMBER, etc.

I told him that he would have to get that information from someplace else, as on the average I get ten phone calls a day and only two are real people, so my phone number is unlisted. That was not true, but he did not have a need to know in my estimation.

I went on, the rest want to lower my interest rate, square my account with IRS, sell me house parts, request a donation (not just one time, but every month), or do a survey (when the last question is my salary and the only one where they really want an answer).

I was told I could not buy the part without providing the information first. I thanked the guy for his recent news item and left without the part.

So is this a new executive order, is Advanced Auto Parts a homeland security contractor now, or what?

That requirement did more to put Radio Shack out of business than anything other than their TRASH 80 computer.

Good luck to Advanced Auto Parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Advanced auto isn't the only one, more and more business are asking for this information and the Idiots are giving it to them. When I go to advanced auto and they ask me for that info I just say pick one on file (they usually do unless it is a new guy that doesn't know me) I pay cash and walk out :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Jmes, Thank you for the "Heads Up" If they ever ask this of me, I'll just walk out also.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:44 am:

I had the clerk start asking me all those same questions once at Sears. I told him it's a cash sale, please ring it up as such. You and Sears don't need to have all that information for a cash sale. He looked at me like I was crazy, but he did as I asked.

He did say that entering my information would make me eligible to win a prize worth a bizillion dollars, which is, IMHO, a pretty sleazy way to harvest your data and one I bet lots of people go for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:48 am:

A lot of places say that they have to have your phone # for a cash sale. I always say BR-549. Get looks like WTF. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Home Depot now asks if you want them to e-mail your receipt to you.
I wonder how many fools fall for that story?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

I quit going to Advance Auto Parts last week. I had not been in a couple of years, and went to buy some anti-freeze and oil for my recently purchased TT. They signed me up for their Rewards Program which meant they needed my email address. Then, for every $30 I spend I get $5 back, or for every $100 I spend, I get $20 back.

I went back a few days later to buy some spark plugs and I asked about the rewards. The guy said to give me the code number which is on my email which is on my phone. My phone is a
Tracfone flipfone which does not get email, and I did not have it with me. He said I had to go home to my computer and check my email and print off my coupon code and then I would get the discount. Then he gave me three receipts, one of which I have to fill in and send for a rebate which will come in the mail in a couple of months looking like junk mail so I will throw it away.

I told him I just want fair pricing from the git-go and don't need all the silly stuff to get a good price. I won't go back, even though they are fairly close.

NAPA gives me $5 off for every hundred purchased with out asking for silly stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

I've had cashiers ask, but they've never refused to sell me an item without a phone number. If they did, I'd have to want it some kind of awful for me to give it to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

If they ask for my phone number I tell them use my home phone. I tell them to ask for Foxie or Mr Wolf and give them the number for the Houston Zoo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Like everyone else, they're collecting and selling your information. Leaving your items on the counter or in the cart and walking out is your choice.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Just a note about debit and credit cards. You do not have to give an email to receive a receipt via your computer. When you make application or deal with your bank (online banking) your email is in the system. So even if a receipt is not handed to you you may still receive an email with the receipt.

I had a similar issue when buying parts on line between two T suppliers. One would not allow me to place an order until I filled out information for an account. The other allowed me to purchase as a guest with no information needed.

Whether you like it or not they have your number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

I'm with Hal Davis. I too have been asked, but my response is always "You don't need that information."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Alan: don't forget that if Foxie or Mr. Wolf isn't available to take their call they can always ask for Ms. L.E.Phant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

As pointed out above, that is why I quit Radio Shack. With a fuss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Just tell them:

First name: Ellwood
Last name: Blues
Address: 1060 West Addison, Chicago, IL 60613

:-O

blues

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Rewards programs are used and will continue being used by more and more agencies to track you purchases. Sometimes for advertising purposes sometimes for secret govt stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Be careful with the Home Depot...you just may want to rethink giving them an email.

Most Home Depots have been pretty friendly on returns and DOA's even without a receipt. If the item scanned into their system it was good enough.

Since August 15 HD here is on a no tickee/no washee as far as returns without a receipt! Unless...unless...you have selected to have the email receipt...and you don't have to prove it...just give email address when asked. To me thats almost worth getting a "you_gotta_be_joking@hotmail.com account and then never even looking at the account.

Contractors here are pulling their hair out over this policy change as it essentially backed up their supply pull for one or two days........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

I don't know why the system will not let you delete a double post when it will allow you to edit to....nothing....sorry

(Message edited by george_nj on August 29, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Most of my parts come from Autozone, They have a phone number on me, It's the number my family had back when I was a young boy so it never comes back to me. They use it to warrantee parts for me. The e mail address they have on me is one from my AOL days some 20 years ago. Yes, It's a good idea to give them a number and an e mail so they can do returns and such, just don't give them the ones your using. Its nothing more than a data file they keep on you. Now, That poor guy that just happened to have my old e mail and phone number all I can is say, Im sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

If the robo calls are starting to get to you, my wife signed our home phone up for this free service.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

OAll incoming calls go through this service. If it's not a robot, it riings right through and is totally normal call. If it is a robo call, this service stops it and blocks the number. Our home phone rings once and then stops, we know it was a robo call. About 10 a day is average. Caller ID, call waiting and all our other services work perfectly.
I droppped our home phone land line at our second home in Lakeland, FL as everytime we would arrive, the message voice was totally full with robo messages and you had to listen to each one in it's entirety to delete them. Took about 3 hours every visit. I just disconnected the land line. They win.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

I disconnected my land line three years ago and have not missed it yet.
I do get called weekly about installing an alarm system for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

I go to AutoZone to dump my old oil which is full of antifreeze and gasoline. Actually I find it easiest to dump contaminated oil in their receptacle even when I don't buy it there :-) it's getting hard to get rid of antifreeze so I mix it with oil until it is no longer green and no more problem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

@ Dave Mazza

Not sure how MA is, but here in NY, any place that has a waste oil container for pickup MUST except you used oil--whether that station likes it or not. It is the law to prevent people from dumping. Technically it is supposed to be any place that sells oil, but not all auto part stores have that capacity.

The shop I work in has separate antifreeze and oil containers, so real easy for me. But we would accept it from anyone outside, you probably just need to find a bigger shop--or car dealership. Usually places like that just want you to drop off in a container(s) you don't need back so they can do it at their leisure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Many stores have a rewards program which actually gives you a discount or they send you coupons by mail or e-mail. They want the name and phone number so they can contact you.

However, I have never heard of one which which makes this information manditory. I am glad that in the bigger city just a few miles down the road from here, there is a wide variety of stores. If someone insists I give them information when I am making a cash sale and won't do business with me if I don't, then I won't.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Robert, thanks for

https://www.nomorobo.com/ link.

Political season, nice to stop that stuff. Plus the guy from India who wants to fix my computer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

How about PIZZA?? Went to the Pizza Hut to get a load of pizza for a gathering at the house. I said I wanted to get six large and described the toppings. The clerk said first I need to give her my name. I said it was a cash sale and I would wait for the pizza. She said a least let me enter your phone number. I said I won't and she said that she cannot enter the order without that type of information. I said, "see ya".. Went to the next shopping center and got the pizza. Stopped back at the PIZZA HUT and brought in the six large pizzas. Asked for the manager to show him that he lost over $70.00 on the order. He was not happy!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

I don't know which makes me more angry. The fact that SO many companies now do this stuff? Or that our badly educated most of the people actually believe all of these "wonderful" companies are "giving them something for free"?
Most of our USA economy anymore is little more than a Ponzi scheme. And most people in the country today don't even know what that is, or how it relates. But it cannot work for very long. Eventually, even the top tier will have to collapse.
Then, Our model TS will be in deep trouble.

But I better shut up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

If a store as you for private info, do what I do. Name - I.M. Homeless; Address - 123 Lonesome Street. City and State - Earth, TX. 79031. And, yes, there really is an Earth, TX 77091. If they are sharp and ask for an I.D., I tell them that I left it in my truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Helps Big Brother keep track of us. Ever wonder why anymore almost EVERY gas pump wants you to input your zip code before it'll let you buy gas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

C. S., wasn't that a sweet moment? About 15 years ago I got into a big pissing match involving a similar misuse of my information with the biggest auction company in my area. I took it all the way to the Old Man and he told me to KHA. I told him hell would ice over before anything I had any say in would be listed with him.He was amused. Within a few years both the folks passed. And we had an 80,a 126 and 138 acre farms to sell. Two went to auction.I took great satisfaction marching into his office and handing him brochures from another company. And even greater satisfaction watching him turn red, then white, then purple at the 138 auction, because he had to bid off a couple parcels for one of his clients who couldn't swing it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

I mean R.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Chad, they have to take oil. But I can't find any one in town to take coolant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Tim,

Zip codes at the gas pump just make sure the person swiping the card is the owner of the card. If you lose your wallet the finder won't know your zip unless it is in your wallet somewhere and will not be able to use the card, for gas at least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

If your drivers license is in your wallet, they have the zip code. It does help though if they just have the card but no wallet.

This is one case where entering the info doesn't bother me. It's not hard for big brother to trace someone if they choose to and this wouldn't be the most effective tool for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:38 am:

When asked for a phone number we always give our corporate fax number, problem solved.

I may have told this before, but humor me, my oldest car buddy is Jarvis the Mercury body expert.

His mother back in the late 20's had a girl friend, Bonnie Watson. They often dated boys from the University,and when the boys wanted their phone number, they always gave the number of a Seattle Mortuary "Bonney Watson" So when they called they always got Bonney Watson.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration