Are some tire shops able to mount clincher tires?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Are some tire shops able to mount clincher tires?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Greifhahn - Elmwood Park IL on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Are some tire shops able to mount clincher tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

After several shops said "no" I ended up at a shop that does mostly trucks tires. They said, "no problem". I haven't gotten them back yet...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Likely only if they have a model T owner working there.
Most truck tire shops I have checked with in the past fifteen years won't even do my dad's '68 Chevy pickup wheels. There is ONE place in Nevada City (about eight miles away) that I have been told MIGHT still do them (the Chevy wheels, not clinchers).
Unless you are crazy, like me, and like to run 30 to 40 year old clinchers, most newer clincher tires are easy to do (once you learn how). For most newbies, the first one you do will take twice as long as the second one, and longer than the last two put together. A few tricks, a bit of finesse, and they are easy. Try to force them? And you will ruin the clincher bead. Unfortunately, modern tire technicians are only taught force by hydraulic/air power.
Try to find someone that can help you with the first few. And good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

ttnewbie, let us know how this comes out. Did you get your carburetor back yet? If you already posted this,sorry for asking again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Montana Avenue Tire will not only mount clinchers but also split rims. We recently had a 1915 REO in an auction. I ordered new tires from Coker, took them over to MT Tire and they had all four of them mounted in less than an hour. They have mounted some clinchers for a couple guys locally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

And somehow I edited this out. Tom, there has got to be a fellow T guy in your neck of the woods to help you. I emphatically echo what Wayne says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Usually if you ask a couple of young guy's they will after hours. Make sure you pay well and if you have a problem bite your lipp! I think i took a picture of the 14 in her new all whites and sent it to the small paper! If Boland Tire can do bud's tires they can handle your's!! I get good service!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

I have a couple guys at my local Discount Tire who mount them by hand with irons- did it once when I was being lazy. The guys are out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Jim, no I haven't gotten the carb or tires back. Poor TT is mounted on blocks in the garage.

Years ago I tried rebuilding a 2 barrel for a chevy, I think it was a Rochester. No luck! So I bought a rebuilt from a local auto parts store, no luck, I took it back, they said the carb was good, it was my ignition. I insisted and they gave me another rebuilt, no luck. I took it to a local rebuilder who told me they have those rebuilt carbs on the shelf for years and a high percentage of them are no good. He rebuilt the rebuild and it worked fine. they are no longer in business, but this time I am using a speed shop that specializes in rebuilding carbs. I have read horror stories on this forum of trying to rebuild a simple T carb, I don't want to waste time, I want it done right the first time. Odds of that?

The guy at the tire store took the tire to he guy-in-the-back and he said "no problem."

I will report back with cost and quality of work.

I told both of them there was no hurry, and I now have a couple of other projects going.

Also, I did get a PM from a local guy who knows his stuff and owns 2 TT's! I sent him an email but have not heard back. It is good to know of someone in the area , but I am not going to bombard him with what would be stupid questions. I try to do things myself, then when I screw up at least I have tried, have some experience, and hopefully can ask intelligent questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I'm lucky, one of the local tire shops 10 miles north of me has two young bucks not only willing, but seemingly eager to mount 'em. Had 9 of 'em mounted so far, with no real problems. They try their best not to ding up the paint on the rims and are always very apologetic when they do. I tell them not to worry..consider it collateral damage. I'm just tickled pink to have someone to do it as I'm physically unable to. 20 bucks a pop, but last time it was only 16. They must be having more fun than I thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Yes, ttnewbie,and you need good judgement, too. Good judgment comes from experience. And I can tell you exactly where experience comes from. Bad judgement.The things that I broke, ruined,or left on the farm scrap pile because I did not know what they were would fill a tear stained volume. The tangled in vines and other junk scrap/junk pile leave behinds include but are not limited to an Imp cycle car and a Curved Dash Oldsmobile. Yes, I went roaring back when I figured out what they were.Yes,those piles were already on there way to some Chinese blast furnace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

I took my TT snap rings (widow makers) to the local tire shop that works on farm trucks, mowers, and all manner of equipment. But I mount my own clinchers. As long as you get them warm and soft, it's no big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Goldberg - Saint Louis, MO on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

After being turned away from most chain stores, I took my clincher tires to a local motorcycle tire shop. No problem, and each one done in less than five minutes while I waited. Not a scratch, too, at least from what I could see through all the scuffing I did to the rims getting the tires off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:04 am:

I was towing a Model A home for a friend years ago, and one of the tires went flat. Fortunately there was a gas station nearby, and as luck would have it there was an old geezer working there. I figured he'd know how to repair that tire. Bottom line is, I had to show him how to do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Why clintcher are easy
Model has a drop center Rimini the wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:47 am:

I know it sounds crazy, but I bet your local bicycle shop could make fast work of hand-mounting clincher tires.
Heck, they do that all the time, don't they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:13 am:

I would like to find someone to do split rims...I just lost 4 tubes within a week and don't look forward to installing new tubes. Well, the tubes were 40 years old...what should I expect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

I left the wheels at the tire shop last Friday when the mechanic said, "no problem". I called today, there was a problem, and they have sent the wheels to another shop they have where there is a mechanic experienced in T's.

I also called the speed shop that is rebuilding the carb. They said a rebuild kit is on order and they will have it done shortly after it arrives.

Hopefully I will have new tires and a rebuilt carb next week!

I wish everyone a good Labor Day weekend.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration