Question about blasting media

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about blasting media
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

A few days ago in a posting Steve Jelf said that he uses sand he gets from the lumber yard. What is this sand called? I want to try it but don't know what to look for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

It is called Silica sand, and as such has for the most part,been banned from sale. It can cause Silicosis(lung cancer) . I switched to "Black Beauty" which is Carbon,extracted from the cyclones on coal fire boilers. If the politicians get their way it too will go by the wayside. The Green tree people will not be happy till the rest of us are miserable...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Probably Silica sand. Which is a sharp edge sand. You must have proper breathing masks as it can cause silicosis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

JD types faster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Fine blasting sand. I blast on a big tarp so I can collect the sand and use it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Yes, wear a hood with an air supply. I use a hood I made from an old tarp, with a shop vac blowing into a long hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Looks to me like you are blowing the spend sand right toward the intake on the vacuum, Steve.

I have a blast cabinet with glass bead, another with very fine glass bead and a big compressor and Clemco pressure pot at the ranch. I haven't blasted any big stuff for several years, there is a friend that does it for a business and it is far easier to pack it down there and have him do it than it is for me to do it myself.

I used to do a lot of it. Somewhere I have a photo of a Ford 8N tractor standing on end while I blasted the underbelly getting it ready to paint. That was 10 or 15 years ago when I was a lot more ambitious and healthier than I am now. But it was always fun to see that brand new metal under all that old paint.

Biggest problem many people have is using too much sand. Too much sand just stacks up on the part and you are trying to blast the sand instead of the part. If you can just barely see the sand stream you are about right. Air is cheap.

Little bit of sand, lots of pressure, lots of air. My big compressor is 17.5 CFM @ 175. Paid $300 for it at a military surplus auction 30+ years ago. Wisconsin engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:42 am:

Yep, I didn't care for that location, partly for that reason. I've moved my blasting out away from the barn where the wind carries the dust away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:49 am:

I just tried soda blasting yesterday for the first time...I like it but am having a difficult time adjusting the air etc...so I don't waste the soda. I will figure it out. Rain just washes it away. Took a shower last night and I was so slippery from all the baking soda on my skin.
Some people go to the local cement plant and buy fine Mortar sand for blasting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:59 am:

You can also use play sand if you pour it out on a blacktop driveway in the sun to dry it. Sweep it up and then run it through a screen before pouring it into the hopper. It's not quite as sharp edged as regular blast sand but it works and leaves a nice finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Play sand from home depot is half price if the bag has a hole in it. I use it mainly for grease and dirt removing with a power wash sand blast attachment. Its very fast and the water holds the dust down to the gravel drive way. Eye protection is a must have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

R.V.,

I tried to convince my wife that you said to blacktop the drive way so I could sand blast but she wouldn't go for that story so I just poured the sand out in my gravel drive but now I can't find it! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration