Is this Stop ight period correct?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is this Stop ight period correct?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:38 am:

When I was in the States last week I called into meet the old guy that restored my 27 Coupe last century in upper NY. He dug out this light which he had removed when restoring. Its just under 4 1/2 inches in Dia.
Is it correct for 27 or perhaps fitted later in life?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:41 am:

I mean stop light whoops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:48 am:

It looks like a period accessory that may have been attached when the car was new or nearly new.
Ford had their own version in '26/'27 that is rare and expensive today, but maybe the first owner of your Ford bought this one mail order instead of at the local Ford dealer? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:24 am:

Nice '20s era stop lamp! Often difficult to put an exact era/year onto those type. Similar lamps became available before 1915, and continued to be sold into the mid '30s. Specifics, shape of body, rim, plug (that one is important because later '30s ones generally used a different plug), and the lens itself all point to a mid-'20s. Perfect for your '27.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 01:54 am:

Sounds great guys, thanks.
If it's rare I'm reluctant to fit it just to keep it safe.
Any idea of approx value?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:03 am:

I remember when they were commonly available for just a few dollars. Not any more. Those have become quite pricey! I have seen nice ones sell for more than $100 US.
But I still think that they should be used and seen on appropriate cars.

Your bracket looks like it may be intended to mount under the original tail-lamp, and hold the stop-light slightly above and to the side of the tail-lamp. Tail-lamps came originally with several variations of mountings. Two bolt with the plug out the bottom or side was one common type. Two bolt with the plug (requiring a larger hole) out the back between the two bolts was also common. A single bolt out the back with the plug out the side or bottom was another style. There were others. I have had several different tail-lamps on different cars over the years. I would have to go look at what I have to remember what I have now.
The car and the tail-lamp mounting point or bracket generally determines which style will fit best for yours. And if that bracket doesn't fit well with your car's lamp? A bracket that will work well can be easily made.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:47 am:

That type of stop lamp was very common in the twenties. It appears the bracket you have may have been adapted to fit a pickup truck. Usually they have a swivel bracket for mounting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Its definitely not the Hall Manufacturing Company made stoplight that Ford offered as an accessory in 26-27; Dodge used with their logo in the mid to late 20's; Hupmobile and possibly others in the same time period. It might get your money back on Ebay; maybe more if the guy gave it to you. I'd give more for a Dodge or Ford stoplight even if it was beat up and rusted out, as long as both lenses were in good unbroken condition. I'd use a standard Ford taillight before I'd put something after market on my cars, and I have more than enough light for my trailer. When I can find one cheap, I buy Dodge stoplights just to get the lenses for Ford stoplights. If the can is junk, it goes in the junk pile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I bought one like that but it is all brass for $85 on eBay last year. I would think a steel one ought to be worth $50 or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

Since it came off your car originally, I would put it back on. One can never (reasonably that is) have too many stop lights!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

David's correct in my opinion. I have that same tail light on a 1911 open runabout. If that light was made in the twenties it very well could have been put on a couple years after the car was new. I wouldn't put a plastic modern out of Napa on it but I personally find nothing wrong with a glass stop light from that era. I'm sure most of the Ts folks in the day would install whatever they could that was available and affordable. Those tough folks drove there cars and didn't haul them in there enclosed trailers behind their diesel. I'm a daily driver and the 11 has a Ruxtell and acc. brakes, turn signals, a small battery and yet I still can't bring myself to install a starter. I do see eybrows going up at car shows but it's my car and my to few dollars and I'll use what I can to drive my car. I'm proud of my car and proud of the people in the past long gone that kept her running. You said it David. All that is my $1.00s worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Ok thanks Guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Dodge Bros tail light on ebay now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration