Got a Free Start This Morning - Life is Good!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Got a Free Start This Morning - Life is Good!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I drove Betsy, my '24 cut-off touring, on one of my normal local routes this morning (14 miles). On the way home, I stopped at a local mini-mart to get gasoline and a loaf of bread. Turned the key and got a free start! Life is good. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:44 am:

That usually happens to me when someone asks me to demonstrate crank starting! Once I had it happen 2 times in a row before I could crank start it!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:57 am:

Free starts are always an unexpected gift for me. I'm glad you got yours again. It's nice to see you enjoying the Pick-up.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

We had a 25 two door sedan that was in the family for 50 years, but it came time to sell it and move on. The car was unrestored but I had rebuilt the engine over 30 years ago when I was in my early 20's. Wanted to show the prospective buyer how to start it buy cranking it and the darn thing free started when I turned the key on. Had to then explain what just happened instead. Shut it down and went to show him how to crank it again. You got it, it free started. This went on 6-8 more times until I finally got out and turned the crank so it would not be firing a coil when I turned the key on. Guy probably ended up with the misconception that all he had to do was get in the car and turn the key on to get it started.

While I have had a lot of free starts over the years, the one that really surprised me happened with my 22 roadster. It was stored during the winter in a garage I rented when I lived in Milwaukee. At that time, I would make a point of going over once during the winter and start it up and get it up to operating temperature. It was a warm February day (upper 20's) and I thought I would try to get the car started. Turned the key on and sure enough the &*^%! thing free started. Had to quickly pull the choke to keep it running. Didn't think a viable gas/air mix could stay in a combustion camber that long. That was probably a once in a lifetime thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

My '15 free starts a whole lot. Then once in a while she gets a burr up her hogshead and says "no". The '13 is starting to show signs of free starting with a cold engine. Fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

My last free start was Friday. We went to breakfast in our '15 Roadster. Something clogged the gas line and we stopped several times to blow pressure through the gas tank filler hole. By idling it the last couple miles we made it home. I went in the house to recuperate before properly clearing the line. Returning later to put it in the garage a turn of the key and Voilą! Free Start.
A previous one was at the hardware store. I had bought some black paint and it was as if the Rusty Coupe had thought it was for it.
I think the cars are toying with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

My 26 touring is pretty good about giving free starts. Only once after it sat over night. That surprised me so much I almost let it die before remembering to advance the timing. One of the real fun things about a T Model. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

The 23 touring that I just dragged out a barn after sitting about 10 years, cleaned the carb,had the coils rebuilt. Tuned on the gas and the ignition and a free start. Stalled because I was not ready to advance the spark or the throttle. reset everything and 1 crank it runs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration