What happened to HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What happened to HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Hemmings motor news came up in a recent conversation at the local morning Model T breakfast. Almost all of the guys stopped taking Hemmings Motor News just because they don't like it. I thought they were a little hard on Hemmings until I got mine in the mail today. All of the sealed envelopes stuck inside the magazine has nothing to do with cars... I am not going to renew. What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Daniel,

I stopped being interested in it when I realized that the cars I'm interested in were basically contained on one single page.

I think they have an on-line version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

I read it at the library when I feel like it and when I'm looking for something.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

I stopped mine this year, just not the same. I had been a subscriber since 1975.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Try Hemmings Classic Cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

I still get Classic Cars. Some good reading, but still a lot of newer cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Been getting Classic Cars since it started as
Special Interest Autos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I gave it up several years ago. One reason was that the articles leaned increasingly in the direction of modern stuff, and I'd rather spend my limited reading time on material of more interest to me. I do occasionally use the Hemmings website for shopping or for locating upcoming events.

I also gave up CBS Sunday Morning, which once brought coverage of the fine arts but now offers cover stories on aging Viacom rockers.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

since the lady friend wound up in the hospital and was in the icu for a week at first, I was able to read the great article about the aeroplane starter in a copy of the magazine someone left in the waiting room.I don't know what it cost a month but that article was the only 1 of real interest to me in that months issue. .

I quit subscribing to magazines along time ago. My interest are so narrow in comparison to other folks that nothing really caters to me that much.Kinda like thumbing thru the tv channels and coming up dry..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

I subscribed back in the '80s when I was big into restoring Mopar muscle cars. Eventually let it lapse some time in the '90s.

Another product rendered obsolete by the internet and Ebay. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I have't opened the last 4 or 5 issues. Give them away. No more fore me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

The internet happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

We got old, or maybe we matured!

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I used to buy it but like people are saying. I only read a couple of pages ( I got tired of the advertisements) l just head down to the local Barnes & Noble. Buy a coffee pull out the newest issue read what I need to read and put I back in the rack.
I'm not the only person there doing the same thing. You got to laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

It has changed. I first subscribed in about 1954 when it was mimeographed on red paper. I drove down to his home in Illinois t o met him. He also sold Model T ford parts. I ran ads in his publication from the early days into the mid 1960s. I ended up with my ad on the back page for my parts business called "Big Mac" I still take Hemmings. I visited the present home office two years ago. I probably am the longest running subscriber. My first ads were with Royce Peterson Sr for Model T items. /Users/darelleipold/Pictures/Photo Booth Library/Pictures/Photo on 2014-06-21 at 14.18.jpgWhen Royce Sr moved to Dallas I bought most of his extra Model T parts. I keep on as a subscriber for "old times sake".

Me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

I quit Cars & Parts because of the late model junk they went to and quit Hemmings cause the Net was quicker and has anything you might look for in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

I remember as a young boy my grandfather sitting in his rocking chair reading Hemmings. He would give me the older ones to read and I'd spend many hours reading car ads that I couldn't afford. Now as a more mature young boy I still get the older issues from a friend and do enjoy reading the car articles and auction reports. I'm not as much interested in hot rods or muscle cars any more but I don't have an problem with reading an article about a well done car.

Plus my coupelet was Hemmings first featured car in 1954.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:22 am:

I subscribe on-line. The subscription is $12/yr. The pictures are much better than the print version. I consider this to be a good deal and renew, every year, at Hershey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Rod said "We got old". Face it guys the hobby is fading as far as the newer generation is concerned. Yeah, I know, you're Grandson is this and your neighbor's kid it that but it's just not enough to sell magazines. T's are too far in the past and are basically un-driveable on modern routes and high ways. If you watch the car TV shows you know a modernized 40's/50's/60's car is what's hot and Hemming's reflects that. It's good business sense. I have a Hemming's from June 1960. It's basically a 40 page pamphlet. Most of the parts ads are for A's and T's. It was relevant then. Not now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 05:23 am:

I like the auction results and the various pre-war cars. I'll keep getting it. I'm 65 and haven't quite matured yet.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

If you don't like the magazine , don't buy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

It is a trade-off. I have happily watched the "old" cars get older for 50 years. But as the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. cars became old it did change the dynamics of things. Seeing the name "Leipold" here reminded me of the wonderful 6 x 8 Hemmings we used to look forward to. I let my subscription run out several years ago. I had bought a 2-cyl Brass car and needed to look no further.
I was pleased to get the current VMCCA "Bulb Horn" with an abundance of Brass car pictures and articles. Both it and AACA have a growing number of the later cars in their memberships. Those clubs will survive only with new members with the cars available to them.
I have suspected that at some point the asking prices of the older cars would decline to a point that younger folks could afford them and interest would carry on eventually. The number of cars at lower prices on Craigs List and MTFCA Classifieds encourages me. The hobby may survive though my children's inheritance may suffer.
The MTFCA Forum and Classified and others offer a good place to find things that might otherwise be in publications like Hemmings.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Hemmings is alive and well. They also publish a few specialty magazines. We get it at work and I peruse it during lunch several times before the next one comes. There is more of the 50's/60's stuff now but that seems to be the way of the hobby.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Hemmings was 'the one' for years and years until the internet.
Its a general type of old car magazine that's had to go more modern to survive.
The newer cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's and yes the 80's is where the bulk of the hobby is going.

More vendors, more catalogs and just more popular nowdays for the folks nowdays who look at old cars as being the ones there daddies had. Which is the classic car era. Just the way it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Current staff seems to have little interest in prewar cars, auction results comments often reflect that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:23 am:

I genuinely think the hobby isn't going anywhere. It just needs to go dormant for a little while. I'll use another of my hobbies to illustrate a point. Most guys in the farm toy hobby either have everything they want or can't afford everything they want. A lot of the older toys aren't bringing the money they used to, because the guys who want them already have them or can't afford them yet. Young guys like me who are interested in the Vindex toys from the 1930's can't afford them yet, but the price is coming down and my available cash is coming up. It's the same for cars, or any kind of collectible. These older cars will pick up again, as younger collectors come by the means to acquire what they want. It's just a problem of timing. I want more old cars, but I don't have the money yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 11:21 am:

That is a good point Jared. The cars aren't going to go away. Just many of the current enthusiasts.

Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration