Wheel Lugs are driving me nuts..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheel Lugs are driving me nuts..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Looking for the trick to lining up wheel lugs. I saw a gap, tightened and broke a lug. Ordered all new lugs but can't get them to line up. It's as if they need to be longer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Please post a picture of the wheel and rim in question so that we can see which of the many brands it is.

On rims with attached lugs, there is no need to tighten the lugs to the point that the gap is closed. I generally tighten mine (in a criss-cross pattern) to about 30 foot-pounds (equivalent to a strong, steady pull on a 5/8 inch combination wrench).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Thanks very much! 30 lbs next time.

I just realized that I ordered non-demountable bolts and nuts. Re-ordering the correct ones now.

Whew! Not sure why they didn't call them lugs and lug nuts back then. Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Demountable vs non-Demountable Lugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

The new bolt and nut in your picture is a wood wheel hub bolt.

Here is one source for replacement demountable rim lug bolts and nuts. The link is for a full set, but they are sold individually if you just need a few.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2848S.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Thank You

Yes, Lang's is great!

I just ordered wrong the first time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration