Creeping hood hinge rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Creeping hood hinge rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

How about a solution for hinge rod creep? Mine wants to crowd the radiator fill on my '26
touring.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Sounds like your radiator shell is missing a part. Mine has a little cup receptacle held on to the radiator shell with two rivets, see attached pics.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 01:19 am:

I fought the rod on my 15 touring for several years. Finally took the hood to the shop and used the wire feed welder to put a nubin on the underside of the rod. Cannot be seen and no more creep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 07:19 am:

Mine has a cotter pin through the rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:31 am:

I cottered the rod on my '26 firetruck. The '12 and the '13 still "have the creeps" though. They have those guides but they're open on the radiator neck end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Gentlemen, good ideas!
Thanks,
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

I had that problem too when I oiled it - but with a thin drill and a cotter pin it was permanently solved :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Roger, Richard,
Could one of you post a picture of the split pin?
I am thinking of doing something similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

I guess I'm puzzled - with so many reporting issues with this, it seems unlikely that so many are missing that little receptacle on the radiator shell.

Was that receptacle only present on certain year cars? :-) ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Lee, I put a Small cotter key through the hood rod on my 1911. The hood rod would work it way out and scratch the radiator.
Mark, the early cars did not have any thing to stop the hood rod from going forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Owen on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Ok so here's what I did.....drilled a small hole in the rod at the small gap between the front edge of the hood former and firewall. Tight, but just enough room to insert a cotter pin to keep the rod from shifting forward. Worked like a charm, only problem is you must remove the cotter pin in order to take the hood off. Hope it helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 05:37 am:

Steve, now I've finally remembered to take a couple of photos.

Mark, the cup is there - but my hood is 90 years old and has been through a lot, so it kind of refuses to stick down there in the front when it's latched.

When I finally got tired of having to lift the hood off completely and push the hinge pin back to the rear so it could hold the hood down in the bracket at the firewall, then I drilled the rod in the rear right between the hood and my homemade hinge rod bracket on the firewall and put a cotter pin that has held it in place since then.

Xxx

Yyy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:46 am:

I drilled a very small hole in each side of the receptacle and used a thin stainless steel wire from one side to the other that runs over the hood rod and keeps everything in place but still permits removing the hood without having to undo anything.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration