I love yard sales ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I love yard sales ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Went to pick up my 2 inch thick plate today that I had cut into a pan jig. On the way I passed one of those permanent yard sales that just last forever. But I still had to stop :-) :-) Anyway, sitting in the weeds behind all the plastic crap, dirty kids toys, faded old Wal Mart Junk was this Weaver Auto Crane. Im not going to say what I gave for it, as most will not believe me anyway. But I have paid more for dinner at Cracker Barrel for me and the wife.

Here are some pictures of the pan jig plate I went to get. It turned out real nice with the water jet cut. I have a set of KR Wilson Combination Machine legs for it to sit on.

a

b

c

Overall it was a good T day ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Wow That is far better than i could ever burn!! No warping with the water jet? After drilling and taping are you going to have it surface ground?? Very Nice!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Man things like that is how I start another car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Score !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job on the pan jig too !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Yes, Donnie,you are a fortunate fellow. When I figure out how to post pictures with this phone, I will put up a picture of friend Pete Sneps' boom for his TT wrecker.It will be a work of art. For quite a few years his 'Fish Truck' was in the museum in Centerville. And, since the Classic guys seem to turn their noses up at it, the friend that has the '26 Whippet, is going to make a wrecker out of his '29 LaSalle coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Kenneth, The tolerance on the water jet cut on 2 inch steel is .030 (+or- .015). No way I could do that with a torch either. :-). I found that the price for water jet cutting has a wide spread difference. Most cutters I talked to wanted 650.00 to 800.00 to cut my plate. But I found a couple in the 250.00 range. One was four hours away and I got lucky and found the one I used about 1 hour away. I gave 75.00 for the scrap plate from a salvage yard. So far I have less than 400.00 in it including gas for transporting the plate and also the KR Wilson legs. Not really much more expense will be involved. Just a lot of layout time and drilling of holes. But I can do that myself on my milling machine. I also have to build the two fixtures for each end. I plan on making two sets of fixtures as I also now have an original KR Wilson pan jig that needs the fixtures. I had looked for years for an original to use but could not find one I could afford. So I started this one. Then out of the blue came a model T enthusiast (who Ill leave ananomous) with a extra pan jig that needs work. So now I have two going at the same time. :-) I have the Ford pan drawing and blueprint to use for measurements and also an original good condition working pan jig nearby to use for reverse engineering mine. I am saving photos and details to do a thread later, about the build, but this may take awhile ... After Im done with both pan jigs Ill have them machined on the top surface. It looks like they are both still within .010 of being flat as is. Probably plenty close enough as is, but Ill have them trued anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Ed, thanks for the copy of the ad. That is a very nice detailed picture of the crane. ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Wow... quite the score!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Nice pan jig, cant wait to see what happens with the crane, great find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

How much does the newly cut piece weigh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Sigh. I mean with this with the utmost respect, but, I hate you. Lol not really. Sweet score. I've been going to estate sales and yard sales for exactly this kind of thing but I guess I just haven't gone to enough yet for something awesome to happen.

Side note: I recently straightened my pan on a jig and was astounded at how messed up my pan was! It was a good 1.5 to 2 hours of me and another guy beating on it to get it to all line up and be right. And that's hammering time, not counting breaks and cussing and all that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Why is it that when I go to yard sales, I never find anything but some old lady's worn out clothes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:03 am:

LOL Rick we have the same problem. Just gotta start going to the right ones I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 07:54 am:

The overall cost to water jet cutting is generally determined by the cut rate (and finish you want). Bigger more expensive machines can cut faster, but do have a higher operating and overhead cost. So if you get a $650-$800 price, chances are it's a older smaller machine with a slower cut rate (or someone trying to pay off the machine quickly). Programming and setup is relatively simple on newer machines despite what they may tell you. In thicker material the sharp corners require some additional attention because of the water stream lag and taper (newer controllers can compensate for some). Design wise I generally avoid a sharp corner in thicker materials. I have a 90,000 PSI machine and would estimate my cut time to be about 2 hours and I don't have an operator in front of the machine (near by, but not tending the machine).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Chris, Im not sure of the weight, but I can not lift one end. If I strain real hard I can somewhat scoot it on top of the legs. So I estimate it to be over 300 lbs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration