Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street, Deer River, Minn.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street, Deer River, Minn.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Ok, how many gas pumps do you think is too many on a main drag such as this one? I mean, you don't see that many cars running round here and there are two pumps in the foreground, two pumps half way down the street and two more at the end of the street just rounding that corner...I had to clean up the photo to see them though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

2 drug stores with gas pumps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 05:42 am:

Before automobiles, the most likely place to buy gasoline (or benzine, benzene, gasolene) was drug stores. It was sold as a cleaning fluid. Originally, gasolene/benzene was a waste by-product of the production of steam cylinder oil. The oil companies looked for a use to sell the waste, and cleaning fluid seemed to work. Without knowing it, they created a whole new market for themselves, and millions of others.
When automobiles started coming around, drug stores often became the first place in town to put pumps outside because they already had the connections for a gasoline supply. In the earliest days, automobilists usually had to go inside the drug store, where the proprietor would pump the gasoline into cans or pails to be carried outside to the car.
The garage, of course, had to also provide gasoline for their customers. I wonder if the garage had been a blacksmith shop previously?
The entire cause and effect relationship between business, industry, the growth and death of small towns, and the automobile, is such a fascinating subject. It carries into the roaring '20s, the crash the great depression, and beyond. The automobile truly is the ultimate icon of modern man.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Very interesting Wayne, thanks
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Here's that cleaning fluid Wayne was talking about, there's still a little left in the jug and it smells like kerosene. Its crazy that women would clean their clothes and drapes with this stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Makes a delicious dessert topping too !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

And it's 'non-explosive'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

THANK GOD! We wouldn't want Margie's dress to blow up! Or maybe we would

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shimmer-floor-wax/n8625

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

I believe the building that is the Itasca Cafe is stIll a cafe. I don't know if it's exactly the same building but very close. They serve the best breakfast in the state. Most mornings you stand around by the door waiting for a place to sit. When I get a chance to go home, my brother always insists we have breakfast there with our cousins. The sheriff deputies and highway patrol hang out there like it was a doughnut shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I just love the openwire telephone and other "electrical details". I'd love to have
that "sparkle bulb" Cafe signs in my shop too. To this cowpoke, an old car without
the context is like kissing one's sister.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration