Old Photo - Ford Motor Company's Plant Fire Department Is Equipped With Foamite Firefoam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Ford Motor Company's Plant Fire Department Is Equipped With Foamite Firefoam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Cool Picture, Yes, back it the day most all larger industrial plants had their own fire departments.

As a millwright, I was part of the fire department at BF Goodrich, Ford Motor and the Fire Chief at Kimberly Clark before I retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 06:34 am:

Gene thank you for the details about the companies having their own fire departments. I would guess Oldsmobile probably did not have one when their plant burned down on March 9, 1901 and the only car they saved was the curved dash model.

I would love to find a photo that clearly shows what type or rear wheel and axle was used. Why does the running board take a "jog" upwards? I would guess it is for a chain drive conversion? But page 30 of "Ford Trucks Since 1905" has it listed as a 1919 mounted on a Ton Truck chassis. And it points out the under the front axle wishbone set up. The cropped photo from page 30 shows the front wishbone below the axle better.

But the rear wheel and what is under the "jog" in the running board is mostly hidden in the shadows so I cannot make out what is or is not there.

It might just be a "light spot" on the photo or I think it might be a "Ford" hubcap for a passenger car rear axle?

It also notes it is at Highland Park plant.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Its a "tool box". The light spot is light showing thru from the opposite side of the vehicle.

You can distinctly see that it has a "lid".

I would imagine there may be better quality pictures of it available at the Benson Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Adam,

Thanks so much - yes, a tool box at that location would fit the picture great. It also would go much better with the under the axle wishbone that the vehicle has.

Again, the shadows prevent that copy from showing what it is really there (side & bottom of the tool box or something else). I don't think the white spot in the circle is light coming through from the other side. It might be. But if the tool box is there, I believe it would block that area from light from the other side. I do think it could easily be a "white spot" area on the photo as there were a couple more of those visible in the photo in places we know it is just a spot on the photo or negative. I.e. on the pavement under the engine there are a couple of them.

If anyone has a better copy of that photo or a photo that shows that area better it would be nice. In the mean time I'll file it under "probably a tool box -- but watch for other photos to confirm it is not a chain drive."

Again, thank you so much for the input and to Jay for posting the original photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Frank,

Thank you so much! Note I believe that the "white spot" that I thought might have been a rear axle hub cap was most likely the latch on the lower compartment.

It also looks like it has chains or something on the rear wheel.

Again, thank you for posting the photo as it clearly shows the tool box as well as many other details about the Ton Truck.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration