Warped exhaust manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Warped exhaust manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:29 am:

When trying to put the exhaust manifold back on the Roadster, it wouldn't fit right. Couldn't get all ports to seal. It seems warped. Should I get a new manifold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:37 am:

I think the reproductions are very well made and not very expensive. I would just get a new one.

You "can" straighten it, but I think it's one of those things where you need a LOT of gas for the torch and either someone who has done it before or you should do lots of research on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:34 am:

I had the same issue and ended up buying a new one from The Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane for around $100.00. It was well made, fit perfectly and I had it in just a couple days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 10:50 am:

$84 new from Lang's. Will fixing a warped one use up $84 worth of gas? I don't know.

http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/manifold.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

They can be straightened but your chances of breaking it are higher than straightening it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

You have to use quite a bit of gas to do it. By the time you come up with a jig and spend the time straightening the manifold you've spent almost what it would cost to buy a new one.

I straightened mine but if I need another one I will buy a new one. Fairley easy but you need to use a lot of gas.
The exhaust manifolds are a pretty nice reproduction part.

You can use a warped manifold if you use the flat asbestos manifold gasket. That's why the T gasket sets have or use to have them in the set. The manifolds are usually warped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

The trouble with the flat gaskets is that they let the manifold sag and warp even more than it already has. I'd buy new, fix, or replace with a good used manifold.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration