Front Hub wire wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front Hub wire wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Dewey Asher Washington IL on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 11:49 am:

I have a 1923 T with wire wheels. One hub is badly worn--race turns in hub. Where does one look for a hub? Langs adapters are a bit picey and I only need one. Is it possible to repair a worn hub?? Appreciate your help as usual. Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Watch the classifieds here. I just sold a pair last week, and someone else sold a single a day or two later.

A "wanted" ad might help since things can sell very quickly if they're priced right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Hubs can be repaired if its just the race that's real loose, a good machine shop can turn the hub and fabricate a sleeve to be pressed in to bring the hub back to spec. for the race fit.

Did that on one before, and with just a 'little' loose fit, have smeared LockTite Sleeve Retainer adhesive on the race and re-fit it, has worked for several years and still tight. Cleaned the hub and race well with laq. thinner and acetone to get all the grease out for the adhesive to work. Wiped with alcohol allowing to air dry, then smeared on the goop. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Loctite will close a small gap and secure the race in place as Dan stated. If the gap is too big for Loctite then you can use JB weld to retain the race. If its super sloppy then you might have a machine shop sleeve it or advertise on the forum for a replacement. A good used one might cost $100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

We did to mine what Dan said in his first statement at Larry Azevedo's shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Do you know how much the difference is? You have a micrometer and an inside snap gage? I once used a stainless steel hose clamp with the screw cut off and locktite to hold a race in a hub. This would only works if the wear is the same all the way around and the thickness is such that's there is room.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration