GL-5 gear oils in Model T differentials

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: GL-5 gear oils in Model T differentials
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

After reading the article in the last issue of Vintage Ford regarding the possibility of GL-5 gear oils damaging yellow metal components in my differential, I figured I had better get a hold of the Amsoil Tech Department and get their twist on it. I've used Amsoil 85W-140 in my Ruckstell since I rebuilt it with a Chaffin's kit. No problems, no leaks. but that didn't mean something bad could be lurking ready to bite me in the rear end (so to speak). So I emailed the following to Amsoil and here is their response:

Kevin;

The article has some truth in it, but there is quite a bit i=of information missing. In order for the EP Gear Lube to affect yellow metals such as bronze, the lube temperature must exceed about 275 Deg. F. Manufactures must weigh the need for the EP additives against the possibility of high temperatures and yellow metal corrosion against each other. In the case of your Ford Model T, the likelihood of high lube temperatures is non existent, so AMSOIL 85W140 GL-5 gear lube can be safely used.

Back in Model T days , thick 600W non EP gear lube was used as EP gear lubes were not yet “invented” and they wanted the thicker oil to slow leaks and provide more wear protection. You will have no bad issues by using the 85W140 gear lube.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.

ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880

E-MAIL: bselbrede@amsoil.com

PHONE: 715-392-7101

FAX: 715-392-3097

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Well, I never gave it too much worry myself, but it's good to hear it from someone who ought to know, rather than just going by my gut instincts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Thanks for asking an expert :-)
I've never seen the temperature aspect mentioned before when the GL5/brass problem has been discussed multiple times online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Sta-Lube makes a 85w-140 GL4 gear lube that will work also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

I have used GL5 lube in my '15 with a Ruckstell for the past 20 years, and it probably had it prior to that. I doubt the ability of it to damage anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

There was discussion on that subject here about 15 years ago and it came out that GL5 may make the outside surface of some yellow metal parts turn gray after many many years.
But it will not destroy the yellow metal parts as many believe will happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

I mentioned GL4 transmission grease to my local, old fashioned, service station guy.
He said he remembered using only GL5 in his over 40 years in the service business.
That was good enough for me but, I too, had never seen the temperature factor explanation as to why GL5 might affect brass.
Very interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Something to read for you.

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/oils-and-additives/redline-oils/red line-oil-mt-90-75w90-gl4-manual-gear-oil/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration