Running Model K

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Running Model K
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Just read a short article in Autoweek magazine that stated Ken Austin in Portland, OR, has a running Model K. Do not know if his garage is open to the public.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

Dave,
That is the "Roadster" Eric Edwards owned at one time. It is an interesting car, having a 1906 114 inch wheelbase chassis with a 1907-08 roadster body. The car has patina that cause it to look original. However, it's doubtful that Ford placed a roadster body on an early chassis. The car also had an aftermarket Covert three speed transaxle in place of the two speed planetary transmission, but that has been replaced (I have the Covert transmission and torque tube now).

I would really like to see detailed photos of the car, and would like to see and hear it running. I'll try to post a few pics of it later, unless someone else beats me to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

OH yeah right Rob...like you would know anything about Model K's or the history of pre T cars! I mean get real.

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Rob, I would love to see some photos of the Covert transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Ed,

This is what it looked like mounted on the K:

This is the K it was on (and I believe the one Dave is referring to):

In a few minutes I'll post info on the "first" K roadster, a 1906. However, I doubt that K (a 1906) would have looked like this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I caught that Denny....... :-)

I am interested in this roadster historically because of this article:

It seems, according to this May, 1907 article, that Ford (maybe the New York branch) built a speedster for Hayward Shannon, a well to do New York "sportsman," in 1906.

To add to the mystery, I did find a photo of Hayward Shannon with a Model K. However,mit's one of the earliest K tourings, with the very early and rare camel hump radiator:

So, did Shannon have this K rebuilt into a speedster? Did he special order another K as a speedster?

Things I may never know (but would like to).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Thanks, Rob. I trust you are cataloging your K information, you have taught us more about these cars through your research, than I could have imagined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:03 am:

On a Kiss 1 and 2 cylinder tour several years ago we toured Kens collection. He is a very nice and friendly guy with some incredible cars. I'm sure on proper contact the cars would be available for viewing.

Interesting enough there is yet another model k in the Portland area not to many miles from Kens car. The gentleman that owns the other k, has a complete collection of all letter Fords, including the very rare model b.

I remember Eric trying to sell his K at Chickasha for several years. The knock on the car back then was the transmission, I had no idea that it had the 3 speed conversion.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:49 am:

SHWING!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 07:10 am:

Ed, thank you, my pleasure. I've tried to save everything in a somewhat orderly (have you seen my shop? Disorganized mess) fashion. As my wife says in her business of financial planning, "should I step in front of a bus," another Model K owner will receive my electronic files. I also like to think all this "stuff" I put on this and the Early Ford forum will be available electronically to anyone who may pick up and run with the info in the future.

BCG, I've reached out to other Model K owners, and currently am in contact with owners and museums holding 13 of the 23 or 24 Model K still known to exist. I tried to reach Ken shortly after he bought the car, leaving a message on what I thought was his business phone, with no success.

I'll try to reach out again. It would really be something if this was the 1906 "speedster" the article mentions, but I doubt it. It is possible that that a K roadster was built on a left over 1906 chassis, but I think it would have much easier to build an 06 chassis into a touring car, due to many specific parts of the 07/08 roadster that would not readily be adapted to fit an 06 chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:24 am:

That radiator sure helps the shoebox appearance of the normal K. Are other photos of this type
known ? I thought ALL K's had the square gold nose with the bullseye. So much to learn ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:32 am:

trans looks like a normal 10 to 12 overland what are you going to do with it ? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Burger, I've read that only a handful of the first Model K had the "humpback" radiator.

Bob Trevan, who occasionally posts on the forum, owns a 1906 Model K, engine #2, with that style radiator. This YouTube video is linked at the HCCA educational site:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N8MgDGqc26E&ebc=ANyPxKruYW3h0WY17EWOTN4Y9bRF0s4-ExKxSgjQ-flRiqzhIhWT_kT1kK4Cv393HIL8FtigQ9IwP8mPh_78SR4NoiNokSQlwQ

Charley, from what I've found, Covert made this style transmission between 1910-1915. I originally bought it from Bob Trevan when I had a spare K engine and was looking into building a speedster. It has some K parts such as bearings and shortened drive shaft, so still may come in handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Dave:

A few months ago a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Ken and visit his collection of cars.

Since then I have had the opportunity to get to know him a bit better as I was able to locate for him a car that he wished to add to his collection.

If you find that you are headed to the Portland area, and don't have contact information for Ken, please let me know via PM and I'll see if I can get you and Ken connected.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

The lines of the camel back radiator leading the long hood and tulip style body make these early Ks very stylish. I saw a dark blue one at Harrah's back in the early '80s and then a few years later there was one in the Imperial Palace Collection. Perhaps they were the same auto. Rob?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration