Gas lamp burner elbows: painted or brass?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gas lamp burner elbows: painted or brass?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

I'm building a set of lamps (Victors) to burn in the parade at the OCF. I've seen the elbows both ways. What's the consensus?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

FWIW, some time ago a NOS Brown 16 sold on eBay. This image is from that listing

NOS Brown 16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

My early Corcoran headlamps have brass elbows but they were painted black when I got them. I figure the more brass the better, so I removed the old paint; not sure if it was originally black as the lamps looked to have an older restoration. My lamps also have brass vent covers on the bottom, as opposed to the common black style shown above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

This burner assembly was recently removed from an unrestored Victor 2 headlight. Some of the original paint is still present on the burner stand. The burner base and the elbow show corrosion but no traces of paint.

Vic1

As an aside, the wedges which retain the mirrors are a bit different from those found in the Corcoran headlights which got some discussion in a previous thread on the subject. . Note the wedge itself isn't threaded but is retained by a nut on the end of the screw.

Vic2

Vic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

RV, I have a set of original unrestored browns in the barn. I'll look tomorrow for you. I think mine are black. Mine look like new old stock, even though the seems hard to believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Hey RV, sorry for the delay. Had a coupe health issues the past few days. Here is the pic of the elbow on my Browns. These browns (I hate to use the term) are NOS looking. Very little wear aside from the rust dust from the flaked off paint here and here, and the brass tops are nice and crisp, with no discernible wear from alot of polishing. The paint looks like the japanned look from the teens Im used to seeing on tools or goods from the same time. So I am assuming the paint is original. There is only one layer of paint on these, and the inside of the lamps is nice and clean black with great mirrors. All the rivets are perfect (nothing messed with), and the screws have no markings on slotted heads from being backed out and put back in. The screws look individually finished in black, not painted over. Nothing looks tampered with at all. So that is my thoughts on why I think they are in original shape.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration