Spark plug compression test adapter and plug torque

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spark plug compression test adapter and plug torque
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

99% on this forum probably know this, but the compression adapter for a Model A does not work for a Model T. Sigh. My engine runs fairly well idling, but a compression test will really tell the story. I bought a Model A adapter on Ebay and the threads are different than a Model T. After completing a couple of other project I just rewarded myself by doing what I really wanted, checking the TT's compression. Darn, now I have to wait until I get the correct adapter.

I do have a related question though. The plugs are Champion 25. I tighten them to what I feel is right and there are still about two threads showing. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

The plugs are 1/2NPT and as snug as you can tighten with spark plug wrench is adequate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

You can go to your favorite plumbing store and use a 1/2" pipe nipple and adapt it to fit your compression tester. I made a Rube Goldberg tester using a 1/2" thread to stab fitting, a short piece of hose, and another stab fitting that my gauge threads into. It works ok for me but it won't win any beauty contests.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

As Dennis posted. Got this K-D at auto store, added the brass 1/2" Nat'l Pipe Thread nipple for adapter to Model T spark plug hole in the cyl head.

Used it to check new high compression head

Nice psi bump :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Get, (or make), one of these and you can use any compression tester out there, (though you may have trouble finding one that reads low enough to check T engines).

https://www.modeltford.com/item/14MM-AD.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Just got off the phone with lang's. The set of 4 spark plug adapters they sell, they will sell you one only for 1/4 the price of the set of 4. I had an order in house, so I had them add one to my order and now I can check my compression with my auto parts store gauge.

Just FYI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

TT, The amount of threads showing on a T plug when installed will vary depending on the wear in the threads in the head AND on the plug. It's a tapered thread, so when it tightens, that's where it is. Do not over-tighten trying to get the same number of threads showing. They just need to be snug enough to not leak, nor loosen themselves, any tighter is likely to cause other problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

I used a dial tire gage and pipe fitting from the hardware store to make my compression gage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

I was always taught to install and remove plugs with the engine cold. I was told that if you install them in a hot engine, they will be too tight once the engine cools off and you might have to run the engine and get it hot again before the plugs will come out. FWIW. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration