Model T Spark Plug Gap W/Distributor Ignition

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Spark Plug Gap W/Distributor Ignition
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 03:03 am:

I have a '27 Model T Ford Depot Hack which was built with 12 volt system and distributor ignition. Unable to find any recommendation for spark plug gap. Anybody....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 03:58 am:

Try several and see what it likes. I ended up with about .025 with a 6 volt VW dist on my roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 05:45 am:

Generally,too wide of a gap will be ragged at the low end. Close gap will idle better but they fall off on top end. This is why Ford changed gap specs on Model A was because of lumpy idle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I have a 24 with a 12 V. and distributor. I kept mine at about 0.030 and that seemed to be the best. Put the plugs through a Champion plug tester on a Model T coil and 0.025 didn't get as hot a spark both on Champion 25 and X's.
I am currently changing to an electronic ignition and have been told to shift to 0.040 but I think it depends on the strength of your coil. I'm going to stick to 0.030 for now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration