Dome light in an early Coupe?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Dome light in an early Coupe?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 06:45 am:

In the classified section of the forum there is a very nice "Original" '21 Coupe listed for sale via Craigslist in MO.

standard disclaimer...(I have nothing to do with the sale just a question about one of the photos)

There are 15 great pictures of the original car and the 9th photo shows a dome light on the interior ceiling. I have a '22 Coupe and when I restored it there were no signs of a dome light. Were these stock or aftermarket items?

I don't want to start a peeing contest over this I'm just asking so if they were original then I could add one to my car and it would be factory correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 08:31 am:

It was only the Fordor sedan that got a dome light from Ford, so in a coupe it would be aftermarket - maybe done at the Ford dealer, but not standard equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:41 am:

I wonder how far a Ford dealer would go to install an aftermarket product. Would they have removed the headliner to install it? I'm not saying it could not have happened but maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Hi Dennis,

Roger is correct, only the Fordor had a factory dome light. The coupes and Tudors never had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:51 am:

just looked at the 21 Coupe again and noticed it has the later 24-25 front drivers side fender on it. They have the lip right under the headlight.

Nice car but not completely original for the purist among us. Not a big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

I believe the headliner is installed before the top material. That is what I heard and what I did.
This would have made a more difficult dealer installment. I have never seen pictures of one in an earlier coupe. It would make a nice addition though. Do you suppose the hole in the headliner was part of the installation?
Having assembled a coupe to look similar, I do enjoy seeing this one.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

One only has to look in an old Sears, Monkey Ward, or Western Auto catalog to see thousands of aftermarket accessories were made for Model T's, but I have also heard that Henry Ford discouraged dealers from selling them or installing them, unless the were Ford approved, as in the case of Ruckstell axles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration