Old Photo - OT - Power Wrecker Getting Ready To Pull A Larger Truck Off A Colapsed Bridge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - OT - Power Wrecker Getting Ready To Pull A Larger Truck Off A Colapsed Bridge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:52 am:

The little engine that could comes to mind here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Oops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Reminds me of a line from the movie Moving: "That's not a bridge, it's termites holding hands!"

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:47 am:

I would think unloading the truck before even hooking up?? Everyone cusses the DOT but without it,it might still be like this!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I love this picture. This is one I would like to have on the wall.

Trying to figure out what's up with the two tires at the rear of the truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 11:07 am:

The photo appears to have been doctored or at least touched up.

The wrecker appears to have been pasted into the photo after the fact - note how the fenders and wheels have been touched up. It appears out of scale. It's also in a bad position but put there so it would fit in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 11:08 am:

To me it looks like they are hung on the bundle of pipe? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Could be an advertisement for a company that made "POWER WRECKER" that angle would probably pull the wrecker on its side. Now for the more important stuff "Honish Officher: that truck doshent weigh 2 tons" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

"Sure we can pop that truck right out'a there".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Tow truck driver's descendant....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDp8ZNX1Zc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Rich,

At the bottom of your photo it is listed as a "bale lifter"...cotton bales?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Jay, He's saying, "I bet I can't; I bet I can't".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Yes Dennis but who would stop him from trying to pull the truck out with that thing? Or would this work better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

The truck looks a little like my grandfather's 1932 AA International.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

No way in heck that would work.
That small truck would first come off it's right front wheel then turn the rest of the way over if the pull was continued. UNLESS there was a chain holding the front of the truck to a tree or other stout fixed object,but then the angle of the cable and such would warp or bend something plumb out of wack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

One of the old Holmes split boom wreckers could pull that truck out if set up properly. Split the booms. Tie the far side boom off to a sturdy tree to the side of the wrecker. Then turn the near side boom out and winch off the side with the near side outrigger on the ground. That puts the stress of the pull on the ground through the outrigger. You would of course have to at least double the winch line to the casualty.

It looks like it might be a split boom wrecker, but he has not split them and has both lines running to the casualty. It would never work. He might as well pack up and go home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Does kinda look like that winch is mounted on the side of the truck, with a support under it....doesn't appear to reach out, as an outrigger would, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

You can see the cable clamps on one end of the line so i think he has a snatch block on the front of the truck? The right side of the bridge appears to be good so maybe he thinks if he can guide the truck to the good side it might come up? I think the truck should be unloaded and have at least a Cat 60 to hold and move the wrecker when the time comes!! Bud. looking for good weather next week in Dearborn!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 06:12 am:

There are outriggers on the center of the tow truck and they look like they are set out from the side of the truck because of the shadow they cast.
Someone could drive the rig out while the tow truck assisted and kept it from rolling over.

The truck looks like it is a drilling rig and if it is he found water!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Too bad the left front Tire and fender are behind the steel upright! Maybe it'll pull clear , with driver wheel assist. I'd look at slitting the tarp that's over the water and release whatever side 'ballast' is there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:01 am:

You guys have it all wrong. The truck on the bridge was on its way to the "Big Truck Rumble" over in the next County. The truck is extra heavy because it has a V 16 cylinder diesel engine in it. Those tires on the back are for pulling in the mud. The four pieces of pipe are the exhaust from that big diesel engine. The deal is that he gets the pole position in the race and those pipes blow the mud at the racers behind him and it covers their windshields with mud and he wins the race. Too bad the bridge collapsed or else he could have won.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Frank, maybe you should go back in and talk to Doc about those new medications he's got you on. Anyone can see those four tube out the back are part of the pump organ. There's an entire calliope under that tarp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:33 am:

No Michael you are incorrect . . . . They are all the same length and the same diameter and have no tuning sleeves, so they are not a part of a pipe organ . . . .and that's the name of that tune !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

I think you guys are all blowing hot air!! :-)
Notice the guy in the back, those are early J-Paks, and he's going to light them at the right moment to assist the tow truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Frank - You use that expression quite often, and it always reminds me of that Hollywood "dirt bag" Blake! Is he still in jail?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Harold, yes he is but I like the tune, I used to play the accordion professionally but got put out of business when the Moog synthesizer keyboard came out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

So what happened to the monkey??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Good for you Bud! Hahahahahaha. Quick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

I think Erik is correct in that it is a doctored photograph for all the reasons he mentioned. Also if he did start to pull that truck out, what is remaining of the bridge would collapse and there would be two trucks in the stream.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration