Water temperature question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Water temperature question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

We have 2 Model T s that are basically stock. No water pump and typical radiator and no water temperature gauge or motometer. I do have a temperature gun that will give me the temperature at a certain spot so my question is: What spots under the hood or on the radiator are the best to check the temperature and what sort of temperature range would be acceptable after a Texas summer drive of a few miles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Acceptable temperature - not boiling! :-)

Some gurgling sounds after shutdown are acceptable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

Mark, does the "gurgling sound" refer to the Model T or to the operator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

John,

Best to check the top tank of the radiator and the coolant return pipe at the bottom. This is where you should see you greatest temperature difference. The bigger the difference, the better the health of your radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

You should be able to grab that lower pipe with your hand without burning yourself. If you can't hold onto it, the radiator ain't cooling like it should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Thanks Jerry. Where on the top tank of the radiator is the best place to check. It seems to vary front, top, back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Some interesting thermal images that were posted on the forum a few years ago.

Note the lightest color is highest heat. The whole radiator including the upper tank is very hot. Engine too :-)

But note this view from the other side, the lower tank of the radiator can't really be seen too well, but the lower pipe and then the inlet can, they are cooler as noted!

Radiator doing its job, 'radiating' away the heat via heat/air exchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Dan, to make sure I'm interpreting this picture correctly---it appears the top/front of the head is about 180 C. My temperature gun is in F so I make 180 C to be about 390 F?? (Double the C then add 30 F?) Did I read that correctly? If so, then is that temperature fairly typical? That seems pretty hot----I'm probably reading this wrong and it doesn't bother me to be corrected====been married a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Top pic is about 186 F = 86 C I think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

John

The measurements are in C.

What shows is the temp difference.

Here is the old post with more pics. The Thermal image camera used costs about $2K. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/365037.html?1370118547

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Guess the next time I drive one of the cars I'll back into the garage and take some measurements and let you know what I have. Sure would appreciate the comments when I do that. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration