Old Photo - Butte Montana Street Scene Elk Parade 1916

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Butte Montana Street Scene Elk Parade 1916
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Wow! Nice pic Jay. Wonder where that Elk is today?
Never been to Butte, so maybe it's still there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Wow! Nice pic Jay. Wonder where that Elk is today? And wondering what kind of car that was that has the 5 window panels in the rear...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:45 am:

In my freezer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Pretty cool, they put the elk there so the trolley would pass right underneath

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Tim:
Looks like an early Dodge Brothers car...DB had the rear window slits and short rear fenders with the raised center...wish my early 1916 DB touring looked this good !always an optimist ...Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:23 am:

http://www.butteamerica.com/elk.htm The history of the street straddling elk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Very interesting story about the elk and why it was there. Thanks for posting that link Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Corner of Broadway and Main, most prestigious corner in Butte back then. That tall skinny building is still there. Looking east toward the mountain.

I owned a big hardware store building with a 40 room hotel above it for several years in Butte. It was two blocks east and a block south, 206-209 East Park. The floor timbers were 16 x 18 clear Fir.

A "fireproof" hotel above the store, it was all brick construction with plastered walls. The furnace was in the basement, had a 4 inch gas pipe coming in to it. It was in a room with 12 inch thick concrete walls reinforced against explosion and fire. It was a cool building. I rented it for storage for a couple years and sold it to a guy who converted the hotel rooms to $35 a month storage. It was built on a hill so the back entrance was pretty close to alley level. I think he paid for it in 3 or 4 years just on the storage rental and had his hot tub business in the old hardware store.

Butte is worth a day of exploring. It is a fascinating town.

For those of you who like to drink, it is physically impossible to have a drink in every bar in Butte in 24 hours. Last time I checked several years ago there were 124 liquor licenses in a town of 35,000 people. At a one ounce drink in each bar you would have to drink about 5 fifths of liquor. Plus, you can't just have one drink in any bar in Butte. Somebody would buy you one, you would buy them one, pretty soon they would be taking you to their favorite bar to introduce you to their friend that runs it and their buddies that drink there and there goes the day.

At one time there were over 200 bars in Butte, nobody ever knew an exact number. There were probably at least another 100 operating illegally in somebody's garage or basement or living room. I know where there are two there today in basements that are not state licensed.

Butte is the only town I know of that has a historic district and park dedicated to the "working girls" of Venus Alley. Worth a visit there for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Sounds a lot like Wallace Idaho. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

So Stan, Need a good bartender?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Stan, to late in life to party now. If I could turn the clock back I would check it out!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration