OT - Detroit diversifying

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Detroit diversifying
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Yesterday a totally self indulgent gift arrived. Its been hand built in Detroit and with taxes and import duty cost me far more than I should have paid for a wrist watch.
During my visit to Detroit 9 years ago, I developed a soft spot for the place and ever since, I've been keeping an eye out for positive news coming from there. When I heard that President Obama had ordered a custom made, Detroit built, Shinola watch for the UK Prime Minister Cameron, I immediately Googled them to find they weren't the only company building watches in Detroit. There are at least two. Detroit Watch Company being another......I'm now the proud owner of a beautiful, high quality DWC automatic wrist watch. (Although the watches are designed and built in Detroit, none of them have USofA made automatic movements though. They are all either Swiss or Japanese).
But the really pleasing news, to me anyway, is that through diversification, Detroit is making a big effort at keeping its head above water.
I hope to visit there again someday.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Rob, I am thrilled that you developed a soft spot for Detroit. As a life-long resident, I've seen this town go through the deepest "downs" any municipality could ever experience.

But -- the changes taking place in the Motor City now are nothing short of amazing!

Downtown Detroit not too long ago was a ghost town on the weekends and even weekdays. But now, it's alive with activities, young people (who have either moved into downtown perhaps in one of the many converted lofts or factories or have come in from the suburbs), people walking all over. And the number of night spots and restaurants that have opened and thrive is amazing. Some of these restaurants are world-class.

We have morning and evening rush hours now where the freeways and surface streets heading into downtown are stop and go with traffic.

Detroit (and Michigan) were doing fairly well when we had the Michigan Film Tax Credit here. The movies put a lot of residents to work, benefited countless businesses and, was a great morale booster to see movie stars at local bars and restaurants. If it were still going (our short-sighted Gov. Snyder killed the credit before it's time) we would be even more diversified.

I hope you get back here soon, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Marty,
Well, it just so happens that only a few days ago, my wife and I made some changes to a trip we've had planned to Glacier and Yellowstone NP's, and extended it to include 5 nights in Dearborn. July '17.
I'm really looking forward to returning to see those changes. I also look forward to seeing how Piquette Ave plant has matured....so to speak.
In 2007 it looked like this....

I've seen photos of how it looks now and am mightily impressed with what's been achieved and cant wait to see it for myself.
It sounds like you're proud of your city, Marty, and so you should be.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Rob, If you're still in town Sunday, stop by the 1016s at the Old Car Festival and say "Hi". Several of us Forum posters will be there. Bud DeLong is over with the 1914s.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration