Old Photo - Brass Era - Family In Touring Car With Upgraded Accessory Electric Lighting Setup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Era - Family In Touring Car With Upgraded Accessory Electric Lighting Setup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:43 am:

I don't see a hand crank, perhaps he has a later engine with starter and generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:57 am:

The hand crank is definitely missing. To me, the clothing and photo in general looks older than 1919, which would mean there was no later engine with a starter and generator available yet. If I'm right it would suggest he has an accessory commencer. I've only seen photos of them, but they are a linkage set-up that enables the engine to be started with a pull of a cable handle inside the car.

Just guessing.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Henry, Here's one of two different pull from the dash starters I have in our collection.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/168184.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Here's my other pull from the dash starter.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/124401.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Aftermarket combination starter/generators that included lighting systems were available prior to 1919. The starter/generator was mounted in the engine compartment and chain-driven off the crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:36 am:

I have one of the devices that Eric has described. I also have one of the pull handle units
I would bet that they have the electric one.
A few years ago I built a bolt on electric starter using a one wire alternator and a Subaru starter (because it turns "backwards"). It incorporated a cog belt drive to replace the pulley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:38 am:

I'd like to see a picture of that two headed photographer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Here are a variety of combination starter/generators:

Here is a system where the starter and generator are separate and driven by belts instead of chains:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Aside from the lighting, I find the car's windshield interesting. It folds forward like. '13, but the car is clearly a '14. The doors give that away. The front fenders have the mid year and later crosswise bead and front bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

....'bout the biggest cowl lights I ever saw!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration