Water temperature question, #2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Water temperature question, #2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

As a follow up to my post yesterday, I took a ride of a few miles in Otis this morning. When I got back in the garage, after shutting down, I took some temperature readings with a lazer temp gun and have the following results:

Bottom hose: 170 degrees
Top hose: 197
Head, front and rear: 221 degrees
Top of radiator: 197 degrees
Front/middle of radiator: 220 degrees
Rear of radiator top: 216 degrees

The outside temp is 90. As far as I know the radiator is original to the car and shows lots of wear, however, even there were gurgles when I stopped there was no loss of water. The radiator seems happy with the water level about 6" below the cap. Comments? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

I 'assume' the same Brule of thumb applies to your 'teen' car.... but I've read multiple times where the water, when cold, should be just above the cooling fins, looking down from the top. The water level usually finds 'home' around there. Put in more, and it'll barf it out, anyway. I went a most 10 miles at the beginning of the Detroit area Dream Cruise a couple weekends ago. It was 90+. I nolonger run a water pump. I was nervous running about 5 mph, with no low band. I felt b it was overheating, but it really didn't behave badly. I got home and it was gurgling, huffing and puffin, and shut it down. Went out 10bminutes later, and the water was right where it should be!

Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

Does not seem like much difference between the top and bottom John. As long as the radiator doesn't lose water and the gurgling stops within a minute after the car is shut off then it is adequate.

I am going to duplicate your test with my '10 to see what measurements I get. It's not as warm here, only 88 today. Nice cool day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Thanks Royce. Just took Frank to get gas a few minutes ago. Sure does drive nice. You did a good job on the engine. Maybe not a good idea but when I was gassed up and ready to leave Frank was the target of several photo takers so I asked a young guy if he wanted to crank Frank. He did and you would have thought he won the lottery. A really big smile. Makes the hobby worth it. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

I drove to the gas station and back, stopping at a garage sale on the way back. I turned off the car and took measurements with my infra red Blue Point laser infrared thermometer. I had to re - check several times because I could not believe what I was measuring.

The top radiator hose connection of the radiator, just above the rubber, measures 220* F. The brass inlet tube at the bottom of the radiator measured 108* F. A difference of 112* F. The car had been sitting in a garage in Minnesota for at least thirty years before I bought it. The radiator may have been recored at some time in the past, it is an original '10 radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

That looks like the same temp gun I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I wonder if anyone has thought of using the other end of their paint stirrer / giant tongue depressor fuel gauge stick and dipping it in the radiator and marking off the correct cooler depth?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration