Transmission specs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transmission specs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Maybe it's there and I'm just missing it, but I've been searching the books looking for the specs on the ball cap and the driving plate shaft, and not finding them. Anybody have the numbers? Is there a source listing all the correct transmission measurements?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

I don't know if the spec exists in any of the manuals. I think.002" is where you want to be with a new ball cap in terms of OD / ID difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Yes, I believe that's right. But it would be nice to have specific measurements. Example: Should the shaft be 1.565? 1.560? In the axle book there are specific numbers for just about everything, but not in the transmission book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10897.html?1140577270

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

According to Ford Repair / Training School manual chart, the allowable clearance is 1/32" or .0031.

But best to get around .002" or a bit less.

I mike the tail shaft and get average, then order from Lang's the re-babbitted ball cap that will fit best to the measure of the tail shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

1/32" = .031"
That's quite a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Craig is right, that is way to much, and .002 is to small, they will gall most times. The reason is the tail shaft is at a 90 degree, but in most cases, the ball cap does not bolt at a 90 degree because the hogs head and the pan are not even and will distort the bearing on the shaft when bolted tight.

Fords tail shaft O.D. is 1.560, and the ball cap hole is 1.562-50, making a .002-50 thousandths clearance, at 1 and 9/16.

Herm.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration