HELP! Looking for Upholstery Material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: HELP! Looking for Upholstery Material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregory Jones on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

I am looking for some upholstery material that used to be widely available for the early 26 coupes and tudors. Picture shows an olive cloth with a green stripe, different than what the vendors sell today.

This is my grandfather's car that I restored in 1980. At the time I really wanted a Model A so leaned towards making this coupe look as Model A'ish as I could. The engine serial number is 1254668XX which puts its assembly in October 1925 and makes it an "early 26" coupe. This car originally had the green stripe upholstery in it but I chose to go with a white stripe material since it would harmonize better with the maroon body. Fast forward to today: I am wanting to take the car back to original as much as possible. Probably go with either the green or even all-black color, and have the wood wheels rebuilt. Bill Hirsch used to offer this upholstery and told me some time back he sold the roll to someone but couldn't remember who. It's a long shot, but does ANYONE know where I might get a few yards of this striped material? I know, I know, should have bought some at the time but I was young......any help or insight appreciated. I am even thinking of working with an Irish or Scottish mill to see if they can produce it, which I know they can. I probably dont need 500 yards of it,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregory Jones on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

And so you know, I have checked with the usual vendors of upholstery material and other suppliers. All they have available is the gray with a bluish green stripe as used in the later 26-27's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

I can't offer much help, but I would certainly be interested if you end up finding a good source for this material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Bill Hirsch had that upholstery material produced in England in the 1970's. All sold out now !!
He called for samples of original upholstery and settled on three different colours RED, GREEN, & Blue, before he went to the Mills in England. I was lucky to have sent him a sample of our Canadian Fordor's gray with blue material.
Here is a sample of what we finally got from Bill.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Have you checked with LeBaron Bonney? and Tuckett Brothers in England?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregory Jones on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Not familiar with Tuckett Brothers but I will surely check them out. Being in the UK perhaps they will have some ideas. I visited a mill in Edinburgh whilst I was over there on business but did not have the sample with me. From my description they felt they could probably reproduce it, but of course there is a minimum run and that could cost a bit. However if I could muster enough interest, then maybe I might fund such an endeavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Why not see what Classtique has to offer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Gregory, I'm with Michael. I too would be interested as I would like to redo my 26 Tudor's in the next few years.
My car is also an early 26. Good luck on your quest.
PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregory Jones on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

I did talk to Elizabeth at Classtique, she does not have this material. HOWEVER, we did talk about a possible joint venture...that was some time back so I need to reconnect with her on this issue.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration