The Ford is Strong in This One

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The Ford is Strong in This One
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

My 13 month grandchildren from Tennessee braved the construction zone that is Ohio and arrived last night. I'm pretty sure my daughter drove them but won't know for sure until she wakes up.

The first thing this morning, I showed them the cars in the garage. My grandson immediately took the wheel and found the horn button. He was delighted by the car and not put off by its sounds and smells.

My second test was to throw my Holley G carb into their cage to see who would recognize it first. While my granddaughter was busy looking at me, my grandson lunged for the carb and held onto it until I took it back.

Strong in this one, the Ford is!

I made sure all small parts were accounted for when I retrieved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Tom, what were you going to do if all small parts were not accounted for? Prune juice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

That's Great!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Good Grandpa on you, Tom. Set that hook early. You gotta work on your granddaughter though, before she falls to the Dark Side (shopping malls and such). Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Tom,

You can't start them too young! That is how my Dad got me hooked. And with the car on jack stands (ok back then it was on large wooden blocks) it was really easy for a kid to turn the steering wheel. Or for that matter to turn the wood spoked wheels.

You are doing great as Grandpa!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

My children suffered the same abuse. Now the Grand kids. See what happens:

Wet sanding the '36 frame with 80 grit.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Yeah, but a '31 S/W Model A fordor???
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

You have good eyes David. That '31 is actually my first antique car. It was part of a two-fer deal; the other car was a '25 Coupe which we restored first and then traded away as our family grew. The Coupe we have now was purchased so my wife would forgive me.

Yes I do have a few non-Model T cars hanging around my garage.

Thanks for your kind words guys. My daughter called my son in law who is still south and advised him to read this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Thanks Tom, I spent a lot of years restoring Model As before I became a Museum Curator. BTW, what no sun visors??? :-)
I used to even do wood-graining on the side, but most of the customers were hot-rodders--did a lot of birds' eye maple graining (I dunno, they really liked that pattern--it was actually easier to do than some of the other grains!)
You may have to appease your son in law when he visits next. . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Good on ya' Grandpa! :-)

Bill H. -- "Set that hook early." I like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Poisoning the minds of America's youth ! Good on you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:23 am:

David,

A long story about the visors. The car came with one and the blocks between the bows had only been drilled on the left side to mount the visors. The car has a June motor and frame number. However, many cars were assembled after that date with early engines since they had a surplus of engines in mid '31. I now know that some of 160 series cars only came with one visor.

As of today, I own two visors and two re-plated hinge brackets but they're not mounted. I don't miss them so I haven't mounted them since I don't want them hanging six inches from my face.

(Message edited by tmiller6 on September 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Hi Tom,
Hmm, you having the original visor brackets is kinda unusual, most folks have the repro ones (at least at one time there was someone making nice ones out of stainless steel--I've been away from the A restoration stuff for about 15 years now!).
I can understand them being in the way, especially if your a bit tall.
Yep, engine glut, so engine number is not a good way to date assembly of the car. My '30 Sport Coupe was assembled in the SFA assembly plant and had a March engine, but there were/are June features on the body/frame. Made sense to me considering the transportation abilities of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Woohoo!
I stopped my 8 year old grand daughter in the driveway, hopped out and took a pic of her at the wheel of my '24 crappy little T RPU. Goll, she does good! Three of my Grandsons? Pull the keys on everything or they're lost. No clue yet.
Good days Grandpa!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration