Rough cast pickup latches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rough cast pickup latches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

I picked up a pair of pickup tailgate latchess...the ones that Linda of look like a logging pick. They are rough cast. The question is..is it more appropriate to use as is, or usually ground, filed, and cleaned up to suit? It's not a show vehicle... but nice to be somewhat accurate to the period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:56 am:

I don't think they were cast. Mine are nicely bent, with somewhat of a pointed end. I got one of mine from Mack Products in Moberly, Missouri, and reconfigured it to look like my original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

The originals I have are forged. Nicely made and smooth as glass although that may be from years of wear!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Mine are pretty rough...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Dennis I originally ordered a set from the suppliers and they were rough castings like yours. I sent then back and searched for a set of original forgings. I am sure yours can be worked down to make them smooth like the originals but it is a lot of work. On the other hand, original hardware is getting harder and harder to find so it might be worth the effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:22 am:

I might have a set of originals that I will let go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Hi Ed... interested....looking for proper bed support iron as well... but may end up attempting to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:27 am:

PM'D. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration