Its going to happen to someone sometime

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Its going to happen to someone sometime
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Opps!! wait come back!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Model A's were noted for loosing the left rear wheel. The right hand threads on the lug nuts needed to be tightened and checked frequently. I lost one wheel my first year. Haven't seen it happen on T's. (Or Bugatti's)

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

I can testify to an A wanting to loosen up left rear wheels. I didn't lose it, but it was damn close. I was down to one lug nut.Had to rob other wheels. It happened fast, and I had just tight ended them. Put a different drum on it, never did it again. Rick Lindner,if your out there, did Annabelle, I think you called her, ever pull that on you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

One reason this happens on Model As is the lousy reproduction lug nuts. The T lug is not threaded to the bottom, and the nuts have to have a recessed thread on them, or they tighten on the lug, not the wheel. It's pretty easy to put them in the lathe and take a little bit off the inside for about 1/4" then they're fine.
This is also why the spacer washers are sold for the A wheels--rather than try to figure out the problem and fix the wrong-made part, the suppliers came up with another part to add on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Can't edit posts on dial up--My post should read "The A lug is not threaded to the bottom,"
Sorry for the mistake--saw it right after I hit "post"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

Hey, Rich ! That wheel went a "fur piece! " Matt and I had a good long run chasing it down !! (this was before reproduction lug nuts, methinks ! c. 1963-4)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

A couple of months ago I lost the right front wheel of a single-cylinder Cadillac. Not fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:34 am:

You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel!

:-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Its a trip to watch many of the bus traffic in Mexico----half the bus traffic I seen and took had one or more bolts missing on there wheels and do not drive slow! Watching the bus driver he had to move the steering wheel side to side six inches off center to keep the bus straight down the road!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration