Solid rubber tires?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Solid rubber tires?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Please forgive a 50 year hiatus in things Model T.
In the interim, has anyone offered new reproduction solid rubber tires for T or TT ?

Most original examples I've ever seen were on heavy trucks like Whites, or TTs. I've never seen any, but legend has it that back in the day, they were offered for the Model T passenger cars as well.

One would think they'd be a hard ride, but once when I was forced into "coming in on the rims" I was amazed that my T rode and handled about as well on the rims as it did on the dang tires (which were going flat about every five minutes anyhow !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

There is a place in Minneapolis that will re-do hard rubber tires but hold on to your bank account........ YIKES

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Rich......keep an eye on this thread I started for you at SmokStak.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1313189#post1313189

I believe we have the most well rounded bunch of collectors on the planet at Stak and I've gotten answers there when I got answers nowhere else.
I'm going to post on your behalf at the aaca forums as well.
SOMEONE, somewhere, is doing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Molded, seamless solid rubber tires can be expensive, especially if they are custom made.

This thread shows molded tires - see Fred Houston's post:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/77735.html?1231790146

Although I live in Minneapolis, I don't recall any place that does solid rubber tire work. However, years ago a guy I knew had molded tires installed on his IHC Autowagon by a place in the Twin Cities that specialized in molded forklift tires. That was actually unnecessary because it is not how the tires were originally mounted on IHC high wheelers. It should have been done as described in the paragraph below.

Wheel shops such as Calimer's in Pennsylvania can mount hard rubber on rims. It is measured to length and has wires in it. The wires are welded at the seam when the tire is mounted.

Calimer's did two sets (eight wheels) for two Waverley Electrics for my father. See photo:

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on September 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

I ran solid rubber tires on the front wheels of a 1916 Model T. I can't say I noticed much difference in the ride. My driving habits are about 25 mph around Folsom, maybe 30.
Only drawback was the tire was slowly disintegrating. Not bad I guess after close to 100 years on the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Rich......SmokStak came through already.......again....... :-)

http://cantonbandag.com/antique-tires/overman-cushion-antique-tires/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

My last experience with solids was a bit different. Do not run over a beer can with them. If the tire hits one square on, the ends will wrap around the tire and clamp on. The hard ride does not change much but you get a distinct CLACK CLACK CLACK until you pry it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Here's one that is on Pittsburgh Craig's List right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I JUST got it from a good authority in Minnesota, whom many of you probably know, that THIS is the place to get solid rubber tires done >>> http://www.terraturftires.com/solid-tires.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

Thank you Craig, for your help answering my question. Justin, that's a great picture, that's the kind of tire i had seen in old pictures on the rear. Thanks to all of you for your informative posts !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:30 am:

We just picked up a demountable rear TT rim with solid rubber (has holes like above) tire mounted on it. I had at one time a pair of 30" (again like above rears) tires that I had on the front of my 1918-19 TT. (my first T :-) ). Never got to really drive if more then a 1/4 mile so don't know how they would have been at TT speed! LOL :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration