OK guys, what in the world is this thing. ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OK guys, what in the world is this thing. ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

I found this with a bunch of parts I got. It was with a mixture of Model T, Model A, and misc 30s to 60s era parts. So it could be for anything. I do not have a clue :-(:-( So I hope someone can tell me what it is for and do I have it all, most of it, or Im missing most of it ... Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Period orthodontia apparatus? :-)

I'm curious too. I wonder what it is.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Ha ... it is a crane for an Edison cylinder phonograph. Pretty nice one too. For a big horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

How neat, you can 'most always get an answer on this forum to some real puzzlers ! Well done, folks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Mark: OK, I can see how it could be used for that. So it is designed to hold the weight of those big old speaker horns up ??? There were also some old Edison Cylinders with this stuff. Ill do some research and see if I can find a picture. Thanks But dang it, It took 31 minutes for someone to give an answer. We must be getting slower in our old age. :-) :-) Thanks Mark ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:42 am:

OK I did a little searching. I found none just like it but several similar. Seems like I have one basically complete crane and another missing the vertical rod and the top pivot is broken. Then there are two pieces for a different style crane or some kind of different attachments.

Thanks again for a speedy reply ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:53 am:

What a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Old guys rule!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Your horn cranes are aftermarket ones made by Hawthorn & Sheble for Edison and Columbia phonographs 😊

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Yesterday i saw a Edison machine at the Amish flea market and was very interested but the fellow did not bring a wax cylinder.It might have been nice at the OCF to play music off the running board!Next week we should be parked by now drinking coffee and spreading bull.I was told by a Model T'er that the reason for thinning the ranks was the insurance company did not want anyone parking on a grade anymore?? The T'er said he was a lurker and has never posted,so please start typing!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Yes, The knowledge base of this group is very large. Its little things like this that make OT topics a wealth of knowledge. I was looking for some way it was car related, and really had no clue what it could be. I did a completed auction search on e-bay for phonograph horn crane. It seems these things are somewhat expensive. There are three just like this one and in about the same condition sold for over 100-150 dollars during the last couple weeks. The parts and pieces are selling (notice I said selling) for 40-50 dollars each. So there could be a few 100.00 dollars to use on projects instead of throwing them in a junk box. Thanks Darren for letting me know it is made by Hawthorn & Sheble for the Columbia and Edison phonographs and part #128522. I thought it may be an accessory item as some of the completed auctions mentioned that. Its little details like the name and part number that can really make a sale on e-bay do very well. Thanks again to everyone have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Why don't I find stuff like this in my junk boxes? Usually it's old electrical boxes or broken brake rods. . . .
Donnie's got "the touch."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

A LOT of odd looking old stuff and this and that has been thrown away and went to a scrap yard.
To Bad!

That's what makes going to old car swap meets fun. Going through buckets and boxes of this and that.

The opposite is the guys who's hauling it to the meets and not knowing what it is and for what!

A few years ago a guy at Chickasha couldn't give away a small trailer of old stuff. He told me enough was enough and it was going to scrap. To bad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration