To Get a Model T or TT Truck ?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: To Get a Model T or TT Truck ?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

I am in the process of getting a Model T truck roadster (not a touring conversion truck) or a Model TT truck. I like the speed of the Model T truck but like the style of the Model TT truck (enclosed cab). So I have a question, "Can I" or has "anybody" switched out the Model TT rear end and drive shaft for a Model T rear end and drive shaft to make the Model TT truck go faster? I am looking at a top speed of 40 mph to drive around town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Steven, switching out the TT enclosed cab and mounting it on a car chassis (25 or earlier) is an easy swap that I have seen done. Its a lot easier than trying to mount a TT rear under a car chassis. Of course if money is not a consideration, get a TT with a high speed worm gear and if that doesn't go fast enough, get a KC Warford TT overdrive transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:04 am:

An often discussed subject that is dear to my heart. To me, the trucks are the only way
to go. I am weird that way. So, I am stuck with your dilemma. Nothing will really work
to make a T rear end go under a TT frame and springs without lots of complications ...
"complications" being pronounced "expensive".

The short answer is, any route isn't going to be exactly easy or cheap. But it all boils
down to gearing, followed by the additional power it will take to push that beast down
the road on those ratios. So, high speed worm and ring, an aux. trans with an overdrive
gear, and then a well balanced engine/transmission with raised compression, stout crank,
go-fast cam, and go-fast carb. From there, you'll be forced to consider new paradigms
of speed complication, like wheel and tire balancing, the "parachute" wind tunnel equivilency
of a TT truck at speed, other unbalanced drivetrain possibilities, and things like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:07 am:

Could the answer be a 28-29 Model A closed cab truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 06:22 am:

I have 3 TT enclosed cabs. One has express box, Ruckstel and Rockey Mt 3speed. Great ride! Put a cab on car chassis. Built short wooden box. Great ride! I also have a C_cab on a car chassis with a T box. Both have a Ruckstel.
I'm campaigning with 5 trucks and having fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Shivers on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Ford introduced the one ton, heavy duty, TT truck in 1917. It was the most radically different Ford Model T variant ever produced. While its used the same 20 HP engine and transmission, it's chassis was 25 inches longer than the standard Model T, and was beefier, too. TTs had a different rear end, with worm gears and lower ratios, to enable the classic Ford Model T motor to move a ton of freight. Speed was the trade off. The result of lower gear ratios, designed to haul freight, and an approximately higher weight of 900 lbs over the heaviest regular T is that TTs drive significantly slower than regular Ts. If you push them hard they might reach 24 MPH, but they are far happier at around 20 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Steven -- If you want to go 40 mph, you're looking at a car chassis, not a TT. As Terry Woods mentioned, swapping a TT cab onto a car chassis is easy to do. Then you could build a wooden bed for it and go truckin'. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Here is an nice example of a truck body on a T chassis.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5740350614.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:04 am:

There is a TT closed cab on a T chassis for sale on the Model T Haven web page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:40 am:

I have the high gears in my TT and it will run along at 33 mph no problem. I have a Ruckstell for a heavy load. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Hey, Thanks for all the input. I will be staying with a Model T style and not doing a Model A. I have seen the TT cab onto the car chassis but I still like the Model TT look better. I was just trying to see if there was a easy way for a rear end swap. Anymore ideas are welcomed. The truck on my list that I would like to have will be a non-restored one. I am gunning for a truck that looks like you just pulled right out of the barn and washed the bird poop off, nothing done. The goal is to have a good running gear but hide the the improvements. Even go as far as using old bolts to make it look as non-restored as possible with a matching worn look.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration