OT - earthquake in OK, felt in K.C., Dallas and Milford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - earthquake in OK, felt in K.C., Dallas and Milford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:34 am:

At about 7:00 am central we felt the house shake, pictures on the wall moved. Checking the Internet, it looks as if the quake was centered around Stillwater to Ponca City OK.

Anyone else feel it? Mike in NW Arkansas? Mike B. In Oklahoma City? Steve J.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:43 am:

We live 5 miles north of Valley, NE and we felt it too. The bed was shaking, no not from that, and the window blinds were moving around. My wife said it was the wind, but there was no wind, dead calm. Local radio station had a bunch of calls reporting it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:04 am:

I was trying to sleep in this morning but I might have felt it here in Kansas City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:08 am:

It was a 5.6 intensity. Here in Kansas City just some slight back and forth movement along with a very low frequency rumble. I checked Google, and California still appears to be on the map.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:15 am:

I didn't feel anything in Hillsboro, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:31 am:

As usually the case, 'Nuthin' up here, unless you were to reference a morning trip to the bathroom...:-)
(I don't envy youse guys when the ground starts moving beneath me! Experienced that once in Los Angeles about 20 floors up, and was pleased to return to God's country!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Almost all my family (Grandparents aunts, uncles, cousins, ect) are from the Stillwater area of Oklahoma. They live at Yale Ok. about 20 miles from Stillwater. My wife said it has been all over our family's Facebook accounts this morning. No one from our family has mentioned anything about damage yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Steve Jelf, you OK? Seems you might be one of the nearest to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Yep here too, but if you never felt one you might not have noticed it,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Steve probably didn't feel it...he's frustrated with his engine "popping" - he just posted today at 11:10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:49 am:

It's all that corn in the gas nowadays--they got a batch of popcorn oil. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

It was about 7:01 AM and lasted about a minute. Usually I sleep through them or don't notice them and read about them later in the paper, but this one was strong enough to actually shake the building. Maybe there was some damage around Pawnee, but 5.6 isn't big enough to do widespread damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Hi, Steve. Real glad you're okay. I contacted a friend down in Stillwater and he's okay too, except that he and the dog were scared half to death. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

I'm here in OKC. It was quite a shaker! Definitely the biggest quake I've felt the entire time I've lived here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

I felt it here in St. Peters MO. We are thirty miles west of St. Louis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Hells bells that ain't no shaker. You want to feel a shaker just be around when my wife puts her foot down! Not only does the ground shake but so do I and half of the neighborhood! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Here's a news report:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/strong-oklahoma-earthquake-felt-from-nebraska-t o-texas/ar-AAirgWx?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SK2EDHP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

I was always amused that my aunt in Ponca City said she'd never live in California because of the quakes. She felt perfectly safe here in Tornado Alley. I'll take a little shaking over a tornado any day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Wife was still in bed, said she had never felt the earth shake before in bed.

Wait a minute..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Was in the shop, shook stuff off the shelves, transmission drums and small parts. Went out side and leaned into the building and it was a rocking. Shake and bake. Lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

My cousin just outside Omaha felt it.
I was living in Elkhorn Nebraska when the 71 Sylmar hit. I missed the 94 Northridge quake by a week. I have only experienced the 52 tehachapi quake which I barely remember. I hear it is a strange sensation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

It was so slight I wasn't sure, but suspected it was a quake. Holly was still in bed but awake. She saw pictures on the wall sway slightly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

I was in the basement at the time. I've felt a small one or two in the past. It was always like, "what was that?" This time, there was no doubt! I was thinking how bad it was being in a basement as I was watching stuff swinging back and forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

In 1971 I was in Lomita, about fifty miles from Sylmar, and that one woke me up. It was a 6.5 or 6.7, about ten times stronger than this morning's little shake.

Galen Drake told me about the 1933 quake in Long Beach, where he was working at KFOX. The jail was destroyed, so a rope line was set up around Lincoln Park and the prisoners camped inside the rope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 02:07 am:

Didn't feel anything here at Lake Ozark. Friends in St.Louis did and in KC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 08:36 am:

My wife and I both felt/heard it here in NWA. Nothing serious here, but we both thought it must have been a quake. A few minutes later it was on the news. Our daughter in Tulsa said it shook her house noticeably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 07:54 am:

Fracking in action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 08:39 am:

God in action!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:14 am:

That too Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Can you say plate tectonics?.......sure you can! :-)

Plate tectonics go on much deeper then any sub surface actions that the hand of man has anything to do with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

-Jay-
It just seems strange for the 'higher incidence' of earthquakes in the fracking area. Geologic studies have now caused orders to 'shut down' 37 wells (I believe) in that quake-prone area.
A different geologic cause than in CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

I think we've had 3 or 4 shakers today but of course no one has felt them. Some say the BIG ONE is coming next? Hope everyone was OK
No storm celler here at my house here at the beach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Geologic time doesn't wear a wrist watch! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

A past member of the Tin Lizzies of Albuquerque told me he was in the band room at Manuel Arts High in LA when the 33 Long Beach quake occurred.
He purchased his nice 26 Fordor from a used car dealer in Albuquerque in the fifties. His widow is about to turn 100 and still responds to our club emails.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration