Removing Mothball smell from interiors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Removing Mothball smell from interiors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Maybe you guys have a suggestion here, I tried everything to take the smell of mothballs out of my wife's Mini Cooper. She had it in storage for a year and now it stinks. It's improved some, but she still smells it. I've tried:
- Odorbombs
- scrubbing interior and vacuuming with oder adsorbent
- ventilation
- charcoal
- backing soda
- dryer sheets

anybody have an old time fix?

thanks!
Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Air...more air...leave it outside, in the sun, with all the windows open. (And the doors, if you can do that without the lights remaining illuminated).

Works particularly well on a windy day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Try putting one of those pot pouri---might not have spelled that right --thing in car. They heat up a liquid solution of whatever scent you want. Also, see if some company in your area that sells supplies to professional autovdetailers has something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Go to Amazon.com and search for Pet Odor. You will find several pet odor removal options along with reviews. I don't remember exactly which one I used, but I had the same problem with a 1965 Lincoln and pet odor remover was the ONLY thing that worked well and quickly The carpeting seemed to be the biggest offender in terms of where the odor was coming from on my car, and that is what I treated, but doing that seemed to also clear odor from he seats, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Dave Dufault had the best advice. You just have to wait for the mothball chemical to completely evaporate. It can take many months.

Using activated charcoal to absorb the chemical in the air might also help.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on September 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:49 am:

In the meantime - FEBREEZE works pretty well to mask the odor!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

" ... anybody have an old time fix? "

Brian, .... you had the answer all along ....

The only thing that clears that smell is time. Lots of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

As many point out, air, air and more air...

I have also had decent success on most odors including camphor by simply stuffing the space with crumbled newspaper, like an entire weeks worth and letting it sit for a few days and then when removing the paper most of the smell comes with it...may take a couple of tries with the smell diminishing each time but if the first time produces camphor smelling crumbled newspapers...you are on to something....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Open a large can of dried coffee and leave it in the car while stored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:11 am:

https://www.amazon.com/Sylvan-Variable-Generator-5000mg-Adjustable/dp/B001J2GNW2

These work wonders. We have used them for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Another way to go is a cover smell. Like a couple 5 gallon buckets of hog
manure slopped around the interior will make anyone forget it ever smelled
like mothballs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 07:00 am:

Ed has it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Drive it with the windows open. A lot of air circulation will help a lot.

It may be hard to do though since we are all addicted to air conditioning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I use an ionizer to remove smells in cars and houses. I have a trunk that I left open for three years in the shed. It still smelled of moth balls after I closed it. 12 hours in a room with the ionizer running and it smells like a spring day. So does the house. Check the internet to buy or rent one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Before he got in trouble, Bill Cosby released an LP with the title Why is there Air?

You can add getting rid of the smell of mothballs to the list

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

thanks everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

I use a can of coffee to help with odd smells just put it in small containers all a round the inside of the car it will absorb the smell and make it smell like coffee the coffee smell will go away in a short time by airing it out .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Heck, I use mothballs in my Model A (wool interior) and just drive with the windows down for a couple of miles. I don't know if the smell goes away or I just get accustomed to it. One way or the other, that's the smell of "no holes in the seats".

My son used an ionizer to clear the cigarette smell out of a used car that he had purchased. It worked very well except that a couple pieces of interior rubber deteriorated badly and had to be replaced. Worth every penny to get rid of the stale smoke smell.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:14 am:

Try a box of baking soda, like you would in the fridge. Coffee is also great, more aromatic. Good thing to place in the fridge when moving it..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration