Warford input shaft: differences between cast iron and aluminum?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Warford input shaft: differences between cast iron and aluminum?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

Like the title says... what differences are there between input shafts for Warford aluminum and cast-iron cases?

I have a three-speed cast-iron Warford with a newly two-piece input shaft (photo below prior to the breakage), and have been offered a replacement input shaft from a vintage aluminum Warford with a cracked housing.

From what I understand, the square end of the input shaft is larger on the aluminum Warfords so as to fit the 4th main as opposed to a universal joint.

Is this correct, and are there likely to be any other differences as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

I had no Idea there was a difference. In checking the ones on the shelf the Aluminum case one was 7/8" and the Cast Iron case had 13/16".
Always learning on the Forum.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Other than that I see no major difference from this side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Thank you Richard, that is helpful and encouraging!

Can anyone else speak to whether the rest of that input shaft is the same for both case types?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

I have heard or read somewhere about this swap being done but that's all I know! Hows that for being not 100% sure? :-)
Chris; this is our Labor Day 3 day weekend so many folks may be out doing 3 day things, well some of them anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Chris,
Richard has it correct that there are 2 different input shafts depending on the Warford case. Aluminum case one has a square that fits the T planitary output shaft directly. The iron case shaft has a different square as there is a T U-joint in between.

I know of no other differences between the 2 input shafts. Note however that there are other differences between Warford transmissions that make some parts not interchangable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Thank you Mark and Layden sounds like pretty good odds that the aluminum-case input shaft will work for my application. Great news.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration