Wheel and Tire decisions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheel and Tire decisions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

My 1924 Touring is being painted white soon because will be a wedding car.

Now that color is settled I need to decide on wheels before replacing my cracked tires. 21" wheels seem like an option, but I'm a newbie and have never even ridden in another Model T before.

The goal is to only perform bolt-on modifications that can be easily reversed someday if it doesn't attract enough brides.

I would greatly appreciate pictures and sources of attractive wheels that can easily mount the stock hubs or spindles. The goal is to attract women, without breaking the car or budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

This looks like the goal

Goal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Currently

Green

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

I think your future resale value will go down if you paint it white. White wheels would be OK, but not a white body.

If you want stock wheels, stick with wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I will keep the wooden wheels in storage but this black car is already green, and there's not much market for black wedding cars. Women want white and I can always repaint for resale later... Much later. This car should earn $500 a week until then during the warm months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

How about stripping the wooden spokes to bare wood then varnishing the daylights out of them? More vintage-y looking that way and maybe even more appealing as a wedding car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Pure newbie advice here, but:

if the original finish has already been covered with a non-original color

and

painting over the existing color will not hurt the value

and

you want it white so you can make it functional for you,

I say paint it WHITE!

You are not destroying anything historical and you are not hurting the value of the car.

WHITE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Also keep the spoke wheels, but paint them,

WHITE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

I would do the body white, white wheels, and white tires. That will be sure to attract the brides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Then make some different colored seat covers which are quick and easy to change. Women love choices, especially when it comes to color.

Do you want the WHITE seat cover, or the PINK, or maybe the TAUPE?

Everything WHITE, then a choice in color for the seat covers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

This is an outstanding color combo!

Minute

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

??? A WHITE Model T ??? That's just plumb WRONG !!!
LOL

For the special purpose, I like the idea of all white with white tires too - I think it's great you have a "market" for a Model T wedding car. Young folks should have a connection to tradition and the past on their wedding day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Have done lots of family weddings including my daughter. My son drove the car. But.. its Green. When she got engaged I was about to paint it black and she said no, please don't it wouldn't be the same. She grew up with this car and wanted it to stay green.
wedding T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:07 am:

All white for a wedding car sounds fine to me. That would include wheels and tires. Lucas Classic Tire sells all-white Wards Riversides. Those are clinchers, but no law says you have to use "correct" wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:43 am:

Dip it all in white, the gals will love it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Make darn sure your insurance carrier will insure your Model T for "commercial use". Most of our classic and antique policies will not cover vehicles used for "hire". Any mishap while using your car for commercial use as a wedding car without the proper coverage could cost you a whole lot more than the car itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Kevin is right about the insurance. -It's very important. -That's your first consideration before spending any money on bridal mods to your car.

Yes, bride like white, but even a white car needs a little trim. -If you go with white spokes and white tires, the car will look like you dipped it. -Varnished wooden spokes look very classy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:25 am:

What the two above have said. If it was that easy and simple would thousand's of us either be doing it of have done it?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:59 am:

The OP is in the wedding/limo rental business. I would assume he has his insurance covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Thank You

Yes, we will be adding it to our commercial fleet insurance.
Here is a pic of some of our current fleet, including stretch limos, party buses, SUVs, and Town Cars. I wish we got a discount for using only Ford products, but the savings cones from reliability.

Fleet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

What does the TN DOT say about a Model T for hire carrying people?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

TN permits anything insurable. In fact, Nashville is full of hearses with the roofs cut off and golf carts zipping between downtown traffic, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Chris, why paint it at all...it's already divorce green!

JMHO= It's your car, make the way you want it, we aren't here long enough to worry about the next guy, therefore most of these cars have already out lived us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Thank You for all input ideas towards this wheel and tire question. Ha

I'm definitely going to experiment with white paint and let the market demand guide me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I don't think the bride and groom will care what color the car is, so why paint it a color that isn't original in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Time will tell

Show me a Model T earning $500 every weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

There was a TT in Iron Jawed Angels used as a paddywagon. The producers had it for 5 months and paid a little over $5000 to the owner. It was green...

But, if I were you, your car would be WHITE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Chris,

Enjoy your car and paint it white. You might consider some pinstriping to break up the color and add some flair.

I would not recommend purchasing any all white tires from Lucas or the other vendors unless you intend to replace them every six months. The white tires turn brown. Stay with all black tires and white spokes.

Just my two cents...

Best of luck,
Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration